Menu

My library gift shop stocks a "Librarian Action Figure"

It's Nancy Pearl, from Seattle. She is awesome.

The action figure comes with a special "shushing" button, but if you see my other post about libraries... I never use that one.

She includes some great tips on reading, and choosing whether to finish a book you aren't loving. She is also an originator of the "One city, one book" idea, about 10 years ago.

Go to booklust.wetpaint.com for a site developed with her input.

I want to be her when I grow up.

Your library has a gift shop? Wow!

Yes, we have a great library system. Actually, the gift shop is sort of in transition right now. It used to have all kinds of nifty stuff - cards with literary themes (Jane Austen, Harold and the Purple Crayon, etc.), puppets, educational games, rubber stamping stuff, quilting books/mags, mugs, CDs - tons of goodies. Right now they've cleared most of it out, but I hear they are going to have a coffee shop soon. The shop is/was run by The Friends of the Library which is a fundraising group. I used to buy all my Christmas gifts there.

Ah, yes, Nancy Pearl. Let me tell you a little something about Nancy.

I listened to her for years and years. At first she did a little essay thing on KUOW about books, but that woman has the most abrasive, radio-unfriendly voice I have ever heard in my life. I'm serious, I nearly had to turn off the radio several times when she would start in. I think there might have been complaints about the voice - though she is darned funny and super smart. So they changed the format of her book-talk so that she was just chatting with one of the regular guys, instead of reading. Oh so much better!

If I were going to ever purchase and action figure (which is unlikely), she would be the one for me.