Menu

Dogs, fences, electric correction

BlsdMama

FYI, not interested in discussing the pros and cons of electric correction.

Our dogs are contained with an electric fence. They NEVER challenge it. However, they are completely out of control when someone pulls into our drive. It's not such a big deal with the terrier, but the GS loses his mind.

Did anyone know if I can order a remote control for his collar for hand held correction?

Yes, you can order one. We had to order one after the pricey one from the trainer got lots in the woods. There are ones that aren't too expensive online. You can get ones that you choose whether you need a vibration or more and at what level. They work amazingly well. Our dog became much more settled after electric collar training. It simply let her know what to pay attention to. Once that gentle signal made things clear, we didn't have to rely on it much after that. We could just hold up the control or put the collar on without using it, and she just knew it wasn't time to run after a squirrel or jump on someone.

oh.  No.  I really don't think so OP.  I could be totally wrong but I think you need a whole different type of collar.  You also need to think about how far of a distance you want the remote/collars to work so make sure that the one you purchase will work for your needs.   

oh.  No.  I really don't think so OP.  I could be totally wrong but I think you need a whole different type of collar.  You also need to think about how far of a distance you want the remote/collars to work so make sure that the one you purchase will work for your needs.   

:iagree: And be careful-it is highly likely that you will not be able to have both on at the same time.

(Edited:  BTW the way, we call ours the "cats are not snacks collar."  Not my first go-to for training, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.)

I don't think you can do what you are wanting OP...however, maybe for now, you could buy the remote version and (since they don't normally challenge the barrier) switch the collars out. If you make sure you are with them, you could continue to correct if they cross the barrier, but also, can work on correcting the guest arrival behavior.

Oh and we use E collars as well. We found a dog a few years ago that had a knack for running away. We did everything to try and train him. He is wicked smart. He knows who he can get around (kids, guests, dh), and who he can't (me). He would be good for days, weeks even, and wait for his opportunity. Then he would bolt. We did all the positive training we could find. We talked to professional trainers. Nothing worked until we got an e collar.