Menu

Verticy Writing - Orange vs Yellow

TraceyS/FL

ACK.

I cannot figure this out - the samples stink.

They emailed me her placement test results and she agreed with the SLP that Yellow phonics was where she needed to be, she disagreed with my assessment of writing (after reading all I could here) that she needed to start in Orange.

Here is what she said - note I had DD do the 3-4th test based on math, and then do the 6th grade reading comp. 

She has been given a "Cognitive Disorder"/Intelectual Disability. She has CAPD, huge EF issues, mega slow processing and more stuff than I can recall at the moment. I haven't needed labels the last year - we have been plugging away at home. She receives 1 hour a week right now of private language therapy for her language processing issues. DOn't make me find her last test results... they are buried. She has tracking issues that have gotten better with age/glasses (no VT due to $$ issues), we've done OT for her SPD and overall in a lot of ways, she is in a great spot. Just not in the academic/cognitive area. She is 15, classified as 8th grade and working at a 3rd-ish grade level in math (massive issues, some stemming from her genetic syndrome), can read and seem to understand 5-7th grade - but inferencing and nuances go over her head totally.

If I did the whole package I would put her in 2nd MIF and probably 5th for core. She is very much like my 4th grade 10yo, and a sensitive child. We have time - she won't graduate in 5 years.

Note she emailed me the results because she called as I was walking into the dev optometrist with child 3, who I think is a stealth dyslexic kid.

Verticy’s phonics/spelling – yellow

Verticy’s grammar/composition – you recommended orange; however, I strongly feel that B could manage the yellow level well; her writing skills are ahead of the orange level

Verticy’s core – she demonstrated that she could comprehend curriculum material, based on her independent reading skills, up through grade seven; so you are free to select whatever core level you feel would be a good fit for her

MIF – grade two

Calvert math – grade three

Here is what she wrote:

My dog

My dog Breezie is a very smart and kind rottwieler. When are asleep and you'r door is open she'll come and check on you. Breezie can open the front on the outside and she will let you know when she want's out by ringing a bell that we have. That is why I love her so much

She left the period off the end, self corrected her L in love to l. It looks like she fixed outside and a few other things.

This is sorta how she writes... she was taking extra time and has gotten good at catching things on proofreading her stuff. We have worked heavy with that in therapy. 

Money should not be a huge concern for a change, she has a scholarship - so my plan was to start at Orange and speed thru it if we needed too. Is that doable? I recall a post by Fairprospects that said Orange is easier to beef up, but yellow is hard to make easier. And that yellow got real hard quick. She is a reluctant writer most of the time - I do think she is coming into it, she typed a story the other day with her younger sister. 

I wish I could get a better grasp on what they do in yellow....

SOOO, does anyone have any input?

Well, I have never used their program, but I would go with my mommy instincts.  If you feel that she needs to start with the other level, is there a way to convince the school to do so?  Does she HAVE to do what they recommend?

Oh, on the MIF, is that MiF (Math in Focus)?  We are using that here for DS.  Do they send you all the materials (text book, workbook, manipulatives, etc.)?  

In fact, I am curious about how the program works.  Is she taught on-line or they send everything to you, you teach it, then send back her papers/tests?  Or something else?

I can totally go with the Mommy-gut!

Yes, Math in Focus - i'm not sure what you get, I think it is a Calvert written teachers manual? Plus the rest.

I do most of the teaching I believe, and there are online stuff to add. I think.... it is somewhat the most confusing thing I have tried to sort out in all my 10 years homeschooling! :p You don't have to send anything unless you opt for the extra ATS service. I'm not sure if I do it all, if I can only do ATS for parts (like writing), or if it has to be for everything. I think i'd like to do it for writing.... maybe. 

Mainly, it is daily OG based phonics/spelling and then the writing. Those are the two main things we need to kick things up a notch. The open and go aspect is just appealing right now for a variety of reasons.

I'm just totally torn.

We have done Verticy phonics yellow upwards and writing orange upwards.  I took a look at what my DD was producing for both orange/yellow levels and your 'My dog' composition is definitely up to the standard at the beginning of the yellow level.

We have done a Calvert/Verticy bundle of different levels since 3rd grade (finishing 6th now) and were one of the first families to have a package designed that goes across multiple grade levels for different aspects.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to help.

I can totally go with the Mommy-gut!

Yes, Math in Focus - i'm not sure what you get, I think it is a Calvert written teachers manual? Plus the rest.

I do most of the teaching I believe, and there are online stuff to add. I think.... it is somewhat the most confusing thing I have tried to sort out in all my 10 years homeschooling! :p You don't have to send anything unless you opt for the extra ATS service. I'm not sure if I do it all, if I can only do ATS for parts (like writing), or if it has to be for everything. I think i'd like to do it for writing.... maybe. 

Mainly, it is daily OG based phonics/spelling and then the writing. Those are the two main things we need to kick things up a notch. The open and go aspect is just appealing right now for a variety of reasons.

I'm just totally torn.

So they use Math In Focus but not the MiF TM?  Interesting.  I wonder what the difference would be between them....

I wanted to mention that once you find out what they send, if you feel you need extra material I can usually find MiF stuff used/like new on the internet for really cheap, including the enhancement workbooks that DS really likes.  I have the TMs, too, and they are a huge help, at least for me....

We have done Verticy phonics yellow upwards and writing orange upwards.  I took a look at what my DD was producing for both orange/yellow levels and your 'My dog' composition is definitely up to the standard at the beginning of the yellow level.

We have done a Calvert/Verticy bundle of different levels since 3rd grade (finishing 6th now) and were one of the first families to have a package designed that goes across multiple grade levels for different aspects.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to help.

I agree. That looks like the beginning of the yellow level for writing quality.

Thank you for the extra feedback, I was able to talk to Martha today and she is sending me extra samples at some point, and concurred that she was probably good to go with yellow.

I guess I can do the opposite - if Yellow ends up being too much, order Orange.

I wish I had watched her write it - she does better when left alone at this current time, I can tell she changed stuff - but don't know if she did it as a revision, or during writing.

They did feel that MiF for 2nd was her best placement there, and Calvert 3rd.

I'll finalize my thoughts after I get the samples and then await being able to order!!! :D