Menu

Ortho emergency?

Word Nerd

DD is scheduled to get an expander put in on Monday. One of the bands they put in last Monday came off at lunch, and the office is closed on Friday. Can this wait until Monday or should I call the emergency number? It doesn't seem like an emergency to me, but we're just getting started with orthodontia so I'm not sure.

My dc have both had expanders, and I don't think this is an emergency if you're talking about the little spacers they put between their teeth. But, I would still call the emergency number just to ask....but I worry easily and would be thinking about it all weekend otherwise. :-)

Yes, I think it is a spacer.

Do you know where the band is?  My son just had this last week (he got his spacer yesterday).   He was able to get the band back in by using dental floss.  He had watched how they got them into his mouth and copied that.  

Ds had one fall out the night before he had the spacer put in and those two teeth were definitely tighter than the others when he got the spacer put in.  So, I'd say definitely try to get it back in or call and find out what the ortho says!

PS.  Just wait until you have to turn the stupid thing!  I nearly had a panic attack!  The stupid key got caught and I couldn't get it out of the spacer.  Ugh.  It will get easier I hope!

I watched a video the other night that explained the process and it made me feel light-headed. Neither one of us is looking forward to this.

I watched a video the other night that explained the process and it made me feel light-headed. Neither one of us is looking forward to this.

You'll become pros at it.....it really isn't too bad once you do the first couple turns. :) Both my dc have had them over the last few years. I also had one as a teen, so I think that made it easier for me to turn them on dc.