Menu

L'shana tovah to our Jewish boardies!

idnib

We aren't Jewish (atheist) but DS is fascinated with Judaism. When DH mentioned that a co-worker is taking the day off for a holy day, DS's ears perked up and now he wants to learn all about it. It's fascinating to me that he is so taken with this culture--I suspect some of it has to do with the food (!! Which he LOVES!!), but there's clearly more to it than that.

A question (I hope it's okay if I ask in ths thread): would it generally be okay to take him to a temple? Even though the actual religion part isn't his thing, he really would love to experience the rituals and so on and learn more about the culture in general. I certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone--his interest is genuine--and we don't have many temples in our area. Thoughts?

We aren't Jewish (atheist) but DS is fascinated with Judaism. When DH mentioned that a co-worker is taking the day off for a holy day, DS's ears perked up and now he wants to learn all about it. It's fascinating to me that he is so taken with this culture--I suspect some of it has to do with the food (!! Which he LOVES!!), but there's clearly more to it than that.

A question (I hope it's okay if I ask in ths thread): would it generally be okay to take him to a temple? Even though the actual religion part isn't his thing, he really would love to experience the rituals and so on and learn more about the culture in general. I certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone--his interest is genuine--and we don't have many temples in our area. Thoughts?

Well I'm Muslim so I can't answer your questions. :D I completely agree on the food, though!

Hopefully someone who can answer will wander by soon.

Visiting on High Holy Days might not be possible. Seats are usually reserved for members who have not only paid dues, but also bought tickets.

One good way to visit could be to find out if any churches in your are have interfaith groups. Sometimes there be will times when you visit other place or have shared services. Or you could get the names of rabbis who are active in interfaith activities and call them.

A liberal Reform congregation would be a better bet than a more traditional one. But go after the High Holy Days are over.

Another idea is to see if there are any worship services at local colleges. They are usually very welcoming.

What kind of food does your ds like? European or Israeli? I am a big fan of Israeli cuisine -- everything is so light and fresh.