Menu

File backup online

Night Elf

What's a good method of saving files to a cloud type thing so I don't have to use my external hard drive anymore? I tried onedrive but I can only save one file at a time and my son has way too many folders and files, and even folders within folders, to do that. I tried google  drive but cannot figure out how to use it.

I have had a free DropBox account for a number of years. If one needs more space, they can pay for it. DropBox has saved my rear, twice. The first time, my PC was destroyed by a nearby lightning strike and I had the latest versions of our web sites on DropBox, but not on the CD-RW media. The second time, a few months ago, the hard drive in this Desktop died. After I put in a different hard drive, I restored my stuff from DropBox. I have DropBox on this Linux Desktop and on my Windows 7 Laptop.

There are other ways you can do this if you need a lot more space for your backup files. That might include an inexpensive VPS (Virtual Private Server), but that's like running a Dedicated server and requires time and expertise to keep it safe and secure.  I know, because I have a small VPS for a OpenVPN Access Server for our family and Chinese hackers brute forced their way into it.  It is more secure now...

Google drive. go to drive.google.com

It acts just as a folder on your desktop so you can drag and drop whole folders/files into it. And it autosyncs across tablets/computers.

I got a free year when I bought a chromebook, but I would pay for it if not.

And it is much easier than dropbox (DH uses dropbox and I find google easier).