Menu

Teaching overseas?

gingersmom

Has anyone's children done this? Were they education majors? How did you find out about legitimate jobs ?

My daughter is unsure about what she wants to major in but will get a minor in Spanish (and be fluent in Spanish).

She is interested in working overseas but I have no idea where to even begin.

Thanks!!

We live in Latin America. There are schools accredited by SACS (one of the Regional agencies in the USA) here. In other parts of the world, there are schools accredited by other Regional agencies. DD attended the SACS accredited school here when she was in K4, K5 and First grade. We had to pull her out of that wonderful school because my income dropped severely.

I cannot imagine that they would hire someone who does not have a degree in Education and experience teaching. That she is going to Minor in Spanish is good, if she is interested in working in Latin America.  

The father of the best friend of  my DD was a Principal in that school when DD attended and I know that he attended, every year, several job fairs for Educators when they were recruiting new teachers.

There was one woman who taught here once, went back for more education, came back here and taught there again and went back to the USA with a Colombian husband. 

The government has schools for DoDD (children of deployed military, embassy employees, etc.)

GL to your DD on the choice of a major!

TEFL.com is the Teaching English as a Foreign Language database of overseas jobs. It is very comprehensive. Without a teaching degree, it is difficult to get many jobs doing much language instruction that is not your native English. Definitely not impossible, but harder. TESOL an organization called Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. They often very heavily favor bilingualism because they work a lot with corporate learners. I do not know specifically if you need the degree (at one point there was a test you could take to become certified). Due to it being a specialized form of education - and one not used by public schools in the US - obtaining this degree or certification is much less of a hassle the complete education degrees.

The Peace Corp is heavily into bilingualism and can be a wonderful way to gain classroom experience without a teaching degree. They also give you six grand for school and defer all loans while serving.

It's not clear to me whether your daughter is hoping to teach English or to be a school teacher in a Spanish speaking country.  My daughter who majored in Latin and minored in Geology spent last year teaching English in South Korea.

She used the agency Teach ESL Korea to find a placement.  (The organization is paid a fee by the hiring school.)

She found an earlier edition of this book to be helpful -- Teaching English Abroad 2014: Your Expert Guide to Teaching English Around the World by Susan Griffith.

ETA: My daughter also recommends that your daughter travel to the country in which she hopes to teach -- perhaps a study abroad program? -- before beginning to teach there.  One of her fellow teachers in South Korea ended up not finishing out her contract due to homesickness/culture shock.

Regards,

Kareni