Menu

Dancing Bears vs Little Angel Readers

AimeeM

We dropped PAL. There simply wasn't much retention, and he didn't care for the games.

Since dropping it, we've been working a bit on memorizing daily life sight words - like his name, my name, dad's name, God, etc. We've been working consistently on blending CVC words (and he's doing well with that). That's all we've been doing for a while now. I wanted his CVC blending solid.

I am NOT comfortable moving forward without an explicit phonics/reading program. I was more of a "natural reader" and do not remember ever being taught how to read.

Phonics Pathways isn't an option. I have it, but will not use it as a core - it makes learning to read miserable for both of us. I know phonics doesn't need to be "enjoyable", but I'm willing to make him downright miserable :p

I have the Little Angel Readers, I would just need the TM and workbooks.

I also really liked Apples and Pears for my older kiddo, and I really like what I see of the Dancing Bears program. 

I do not want something game based (he doesn't care for it), and he has fine motor skill problems, so nothing coloring pages, etc based. I think the Dancing Bears program has just the right amount of writing included - and if I used that WITH Apples and Pears (at half pace), I would drop other handwriting instruction (because Apples and Pears is both spelling and writing instruction). 

Any input?

I have white boards ( small, lined ones) for Dancing Bears.  It only takes about 10 minutes a day so far.

I have never heard of your other program so it is up to you to decide.  I am sure you know that Dancing Bears is geared toward covering LD.

I see that you dropped PAL.   

There are some threads on Apples and Pears.   Some are concerned about the spelling of particular words such as color or colour....anyhow I would check on how many words are spelled differently before using it.

I have white boards ( small, lined ones) for Dancing Bears.

I see that you dropped PAL.   

There are some threads on Apples and Pears.   Some are concerned about the spelling of particular words such as color or colour....anyhow I would check on how many words are spelled differently before using it.

Apples and Pears Book D is the only one that has words that are spelled differently (she purposely avoided different spellings in Books A through C).  The author is working on a US Edition of it, but it probably won't be out for a while.  They are few and far between, so really easy to work around (at least it was for us).

ETA that the author told me this just last week.  Also, I've used Books C through D and am currently using Book A.

You are looking at Apples and Pears for your 12 year old daughter, not your 5 year old son, right?  I agree that it would probably be too much for your 5 year old son, but I'm thinking you were asking about your dd.  I'm doing Book A with my almost 8 year old dd (she usually does an entire level at a time - her choice) and Book C with my 11 year old dd (she always does an entire level at a time - not her choice, she would like to do more, LOL).  I know that my 6 year old son (who is really more like a 4 year old in terms of writing) will not be ready for Apples and Pears for quite some time.

Neither of my children could have handled Apples & Pears (even in very small chunks) at age 5.  It really is quite a bit of writing once you get past the first 14 lessons.  Oldest DD (3rd grade, 8 yr old) still can only do a third of a lesson at a time.

Thanks for the info.  I thought I had read that it is for older children.  This does help!

You are looking at Apples and Pears for your 12 year old daughter, not your 5 year old son, right?  I agree that it would probably be too much for your 5 year old son, but I'm thinking you were asking about your dd.  I'm doing Book A with my almost 8 year old dd (she usually does an entire level at a time - her choice) and Book C with my 11 year old dd (she always does an entire level at a time - not her choice, she would like to do more, LOL).  I know that my 6 year old son (who is really more like a 4 year old in terms of writing) will not be ready for Apples and Pears for quite some time.

No - my eldest already used Apples and Pears. I was asking for my 5 year old. I had read on the publisher's website that if your child has fine motor skill issues they recommend Apples and Pears? I definitely will not use it if it's that overwhelming for youngsters (my eldest didn't use it until she was 10 or 11; she has learning differences).

No - my eldest already used Apples and Pears. I was asking for my 5 year old. I had read on the publisher's website that if your child has fine motor skill issues they recommend Apples and Pears? I definitely will not use it if it's that overwhelming for youngsters (my eldest didn't use it until she was 10 or 11; she has learning differences).

Thanks for clarifying!  I think they recommend starting Apples and Pears A once the child is established in Dancing Bears A, unless the writing is too much for the child.  I don't think there would be any harm in trying if writing isn't difficult for him.  I'd probably wait a little (maybe a month) and then try it, maybe doing one page/day instead of one level/day.  You can always set it aside for later if he isn't ready yet.

Thanks for clarifying!  I think they recommend starting Apples and Pears A once the child is established in Dancing Bears A, unless the writing is too much for the child.  I don't think there would be any harm in trying if writing isn't difficult for him.  I'd probably wait a little (maybe a month) and then try it, maybe doing one page/day instead of one level/day.  You can always set it aside for later if he isn't ready yet.

Writing is very difficult for him. Very. I think I'll hold off until next year for A&P with him - now that we're talking about it, I remember how writing intensive the books were for my eldest. I don't think DS5 could handle it.

Writing is very difficult for him. Very. I think I'll hold off until next year for A&P with him - now that we're talking about it, I remember how writing intensive the books were for my eldest. I don't think DS5 could handle it.

Then I would definitely hold off on it.  I have no idea when I'll get to it with my 6 year old son. 

• 4 months later...

Old post...I know but I'm curious what you decided to go with. I've used both Dancing Bears and Little Angel readers. I wish you could easily merge the teaching technique of Dancing Bears with the stories of the Little Angel Readers. Love those stories!!!!

We're using Dancing Bears A. It's working well for him, but I have definitely been disappointed that he can't also use the Angel readers - the stories are so lovely, but it's obvious that the full Angel Readers program teaches reading in a completely different way. I'm guess, just having looked at the readers, that they teach with word families?