Menu

The Lively Art of Writing

I'm lesson planning and I am ignoring the computer, ClassEd email, TWTM, my blog, and my housework. Ha!

So....has anyone made lesson plans for The Lively Art of Writing? How long does each chapter take? A day? 2 days? or....

If anyone has written this up and is willing to share, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!!

Jean (off to do more lesson planning...)

We worked through the Lively Art the lazy way. We basically did a chapter per week, doing the questions for the first two days and then the longer writing assignments for the last few.

We worked through it several years ago, but it self-scheduled well-enough that I haven't bothered to think about how to schedule it this year with my rising 9th grader -- we start using it next Monday!

I will be VERY intrested to hear what others say!

We worked through the Lively Art the lazy way. We basically did a chapter per week, doing the questions for the first two days and then the longer writing assignments for the last few.

That's what we've done as well. Some chapters seemed to take a little longer and some a little less, but I would say that we do about a chapter a week. :) Last year, we skipped around and my daughter picked and choose from among the writing assignments, but this year we're working through it in a more organized fashion.

Last year, we skipped around and my daughter picked and choose from among the writing assignments, but this year we're working through it in a more organized fashion.

So your daughter used it last year for 7th and will do so again this year, more systematically?

So....has anyone made lesson plans for The Lively Art of Writing? How long does each chapter take?

I recently asked some questions here about this book (you can read them in this thread, http://67.202.21.157/forums/showthread.php?p=460197#poststop.) While it's a very handy little resource, I am having trouble deciding when to have my son (rising 8th grader) use it and how much I want to delve into the actual assignments. I hope you get more replies here.:)

I very rarely use suggested writing assignments in books, so this was not an exception for me. We simply didn't use them. The content is worth reading and branching the application out on your own studies/interests.

I think the book is appropriate for any student that is ready to begin essay writing. (I would estimate 8th grade+. I have used it with a 9th and 12th grader......both of them used it simply for review of material they had already been taught.)

We have used it with dd1 in 10th, ds1 in 9th, and ds2 in 9th.

The older two were VERY strong writers and The Lively Art was the last "formal" writing program they ever used.

Ds2 is NOT a strong writer. Uless he makes miraculous strides in his writing this year, we will use several more writing programs after The Lively Art!