Menu

R & S Spelling with Phonics? Or something else?

classicmommy

Would it be best to do 2nd grade R & S phonics with the 2nd grade spelling program? Or should I go back and do 1st grade phonics? I was just planing on doing the spelling but then I was looking at samples of it and the phonics. My child is 6 and reading at a 7th grade level. She did 2 years of Spalding and a few months of LOE Essentials.

I need to keep it as simple as possible. WRTR and LOE were a struggle to get done consistently. Should I consider another spelling and or phonics program? Please help, I am so confused and overwhelmed with spelling and phonics.

Would it be best to do 2nd grade R & S phonics with the 2nd grade spelling program? Or should I go back and do 1st grade phonics? I was just planing on doing the spelling but then I was looking at samples of it and the phonics. My child is 6 and reading at a 7th grade level. She did 2 years of Spalding and a few months of LOE Essentials.

I need to keep it as simple as possible. WRTR and LOE were a struggle to get done consistently. Should I consider another spelling and or phonics program? Please help, I am so confused and overwhelmed with spelling and phonics.

I don't see the point in doing R&S phonics (or any other phonics) with her if she reads that well. She probably doesn't need spelling, either.

I wouldn't worry about it at this point. You could do narration and copywork with her and call it good. :-)

My daughter was reading at a 12th grade level in 1st grade, I did a yearly review of phonics and spelling rules in grades 1 to 3. It took about 2 hours total at the beginning of each school year, I basically did the things on this page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

I had her read and spell a few words of each type for easy words she knew, and spent a bit more time on 3+ syllable words, although I had her read them only but she could try to spell a few if she wanted to.