Menu

My new favorite kindergarten teacher

Good news! It's nice to know that someone standing up for sanity in education can make a difference.

I was glad to see in the letter that a review of required testing is being implemented to hopefully find ways to reduce the burden on teachers and students. I understand that assessment plays a useful role in education, but when testing infringes too heavily on teaching (whether by hogging time or shifting the emphasis to test performance rather than student development) real learning suffers.

Good for her!!! And if I had any doubts about not sending my dds to K (or school), I no longer do. Just think of the huge numbers of hours of time we gift our children to play and to be children (and to drive us insane) by keeping them home. My 5 yo needs work on vowel sounds, is working on CVC, knows no sight words except for "the" and maybe a couple of others. I know that by reading books to her and with her and working on phonics, no testing needed :) Homeschooling is a blessing. I am thankful to be able to do it.