Menu

Any recommendations for a "complete skateboard" for 6 year old?

mathnerd

My DS is 6 and will be 7 soon. I want to surprise him for his birthday with a skateboard. He is a perfectionist and needs convincing to try new things, but I hope to be able to get him to enjoy skateboarding (at least on the driveway at home!). He might not be into doing fancy tricks (I think), but may be open to trying riding on sidewalks or driveways.

I am looking for a beginner skateboard that comes fully assembled (complete?) and of a better quality than those found at Target or Walmart (I was told to steer away from them). Any recommendations? Right now, he spends most of his time outdoors on his bike and I hope that he can add skateboarding to it. 

my kids started skateboarding with a board that had a handle on the front.  It was a great way to learn - I think it was like this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Grow-with-Me-3-in-1-Skateboard/dp/B004AM61SE

After DS18 used it for a few years with the handle off, he graduated to a full-on regular skateboard.  DD13 preferred to move to a Razor Scooter like this one because her balance is not very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Razor-A3-Kick-Scooter/dp/B000ODZC9C/ref=pd_sim_sg_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CF19RQ4ZDETGCDWZPXM

You'll get the best result from going to a local skateboard shop.  I suggest a surprise trip as 6yos are not always enthralled with gift certificates.  You may want to ask around to see what shop has a good reputation (my definition of "reputation" = employees don't have an attitude :cool:).

The staff can fit your son with a board that is weight/height appropriate, and will aid you in selecting quality components that can be adjusted to suit your son's abilities as he becomes a more adept skater. The staff will also help you select safety gear that fits him properly (helmet, pads).

My dd got her skateboard at a local shop.  The guy had her help him assemble it, and he showed her how to do the adjustments.  She got a great (complete) board for under $100.

You'll get the best result from going to a local skateboard shop.  I suggest a surprise trip as 6yos are not always enthralled with gift certificates.  You may want to ask around to see what shop has a good reputation (my definition of "reputation" = employees don't have an attitude :cool:).

The staff can fit your son with a board that is weight/height appropriate, and will aid you in selecting quality components that can be adjusted to suit your son's abilities as he becomes a more adept skater. The staff will also help you select safety gear that fits him properly (helmet, pads).

My dd got her skateboard at a local shop.  The guy had her help him assemble it, and he showed her how to do the adjustments.  She got a great (complete) board for under $100.

:iagree:

My brother is a skater and he recommended going to an actual skateboard store and avoid Walmart/Target for this. We got a complete for around $100.

My daughter has not skateboarded for a few years, so this info is a little old--however when she was expressing interest, my husband did a lot of research on skateboards for kids. The number one thing he got out if his research was to not buy a cheap board from Walmart. At the time the two stand out brands (for kids) were AngelBoy-made by Powell, and Termite. We went with Angel Boy, and it was a very nice board--we ordered ours through A local skate shop, but you can get them online. When ever we had DD at bigger skate parks, she always got comments on the board--I think a girl with a serious skateboard stood out LOL.