Menu

Physical Science in 8th or wait till it counts for HS credit

I have a decision to make. My local public school does physical science in 9th grade for HS credit and I was hoping to get my ds a diploma through them.(or not, still deciding)  I do plan to homeschool through HS though. Most homeschoolers seem to do Physical science in 8th grade. One of my ideas was to let him do it half speed and finish it next year in 9th. We do have some skill to work on so this would give us time to really concentrate on writing. He is dyslexic w/ working memory issue so this might be a good option. The other idea is to have him join his younger siblings in MFW's science and just tackle physical science next year. 

Any thoughts?

I do not agree that most homeschoolers do Physical Science in 9th grade. (*)  Physical Science is what Apologia does for 9th grade.  

Bob Jones uses this progression - 7th - Life Science / 8th - Space & Earth / 9th - Physical / 10th - Biology / 11th - Chemistry / 12th - Physics.  I think that is a typical sequence.

I think that it might be better to decide what curriculum you want to use and then place your son at the appropriate level.  If you want to match up with the public school sequence, then do what they do. 

* In fact, would not agree that most homeschoolers do anything in any particular grade, but that is not what you asked.

One of my ideas was to let him do it half speed and finish it next year in 9th. We do have some skill to work on so this would give us time to really concentrate on writing.

I'll opt to start this year and just go at his pace treating it as prep for 9th grade. How is his math because physical science does have more computation compare to Life Science and Earth Science.

I do not agree that most homeschoolers do Physical Science in 9th grade. (*)  Physical Science is what Apologia does for 9th grade.  

Bob Jones uses this progression - 7th - Life Science / 8th - Space & Earth / 9th - Physical / 10th - Biology / 11th - Chemistry / 12th - Physics.  I think that is a typical sequence.

I think that it might be better to decide what curriculum you want to use and then place your son at the appropriate level.  If you want to match up with the public school sequence, then do what they do. 

* In fact, would not agree that most homeschoolers do anything in any particular grade, but that is not what you asked.

Yes, this actually makes more sense. MFW does PS in 8th I should have said. CLE has it in it's 9th grade line up as well as the others you mentioned.

If you really want to wait you can do a Physics first rotation starting in 9th.  There is a lot of threads about it on the H.S. board. 

9th-Physics (conceptual)

10th-Chemistry

11th- Biology

12th-Advanced Physics or other advanced course (often at CC)

We're starting the rotation in 8th grade so that we can fit in Env. Sci. too (before he takes Bio and Physics at CC in 11th and 12th)

Another thing... look at the requirements of the colleges your DC is likely to attend.  For example 1 univ. that my DC are considering requires 3 sciences (2 must be labs) and 1 of the 3 needs to be Bio.  So Phys. Sci. would be fine in 9th.  The other school (well known state engineering school) also requires 3 (recommends 4) 2 must be labs, one of those is recommended to be Chemistry (required if going into nursing). So it can vary.

You could also do ICP (integrated chem/Physics as a precursor to jumping into Chem in 9th... lots of choices.