Menu

Ikea fans - bunkbed/mattresses.. any input?

I am shopping around for a bunkbed and mattresses.. I was wondering if any of you Ikea fans have experience with their bunkbed frames and/or mattresses. I was looking at the cheaper ones they had.. anyone know if they are total waste or 'good cheap'/worth the money? Any feedback? TIA

We purchased a white metal bunkbed frame on sale last October for $89.00! It is wonderful and the quality is as good as any others I have seen. I spent a little more on the mattresses, I think about $80.00 each, because I wanted them to be thicker than the really cheap ones. I also bought quilts and covers and they have been washed many times and are holding up well.

Amy

We have a white "Robin" wooden loft bed that we bought off of Craigslist. That woman had it for a year and we have had it for three. It has held up really well and my dd15 is NOT easy on furniture. Since we have low ceilings, I do think the legs should be cut down but she doesn't mind right now the lack of room. I have other Ikea furniture also and it does hold up well. Just make sure to really tighten all of the bolts and it should hold up for quite a few years.

We spent about $300 on a "solid wood" Hemnes about four years ago. Now it is unusable as one of the mattress support slats on the side of the bottom bunk is splitting apart were individual sections of wood were glued together to make one large beam. Since we now longer can find the sales receipt we are out of luck getting it replaced. This is the side beam that holds the metal rail into which the individual slats are screwed.

We have had not trouble with our Ikea bookshelves, desks...it is of course the most $$$ thing we buy that turns out to be cr*p! Sigh.