Menu

Can you recommend your neuropsychologist to us?

displace

We're looking into testing with a neuropsychologist after somewhat persistent problems which I suspect could be dysgraphia. 

We live in the most SE continental US (but keep it a secret), so if you can recommend anyone from this state, that would be great. 

Bonus points for 2e experienced or gifted experienced testers. 

I'm hoping to get some/any recs at all.  Please PM me or post directly if you want. 

Thanks, Hive!

Ok, tips of the day, but only because I'm waiting for dd to get back so we can go to the library!  :)

-distinguish clinical psychologist and neuropsych.  As much as I like the idea of the Hoagies list, I'm a little burnt on the whole "clinical psychologist who happens to be 2E or specialize in 2E is therefore qualified to eval anything."  If you need a neuropsych, you need a neuropsych.  I think there were some neuropsychs on the Hoagies list for our state, but they were sort of out there, writing books on women's lib issues and stuff.  Whatever.  I'm just saying psychs at that level specialize.

-You say dysgraphia, but could I be impolite and ask if you've figured out what ELSE is going on?  That would be sort of oddball to have dysgraphia and NOTHING, absolutely nothing, else going on.  Not an expert, but just saying.  So maybe if you figure out what that *something else* is and use THAT term plus neuropsychologist plus your state, you might get farther.

-Thing three.  From my rather anemic efforts at trying to find psychs in our state, I've concluded there are good ones that come out of the woodwork and you don't necessarily find them by googling, grr.  Again, I go back to that other label you may have going on.  Yes, it's sort of like you have to narrow to what label before you can find the right neuropsych.  (See my head swirling?)  

-Sometimes those psychs that come out of the woodwork are in hospital systems, and at least around here hospital psychs are ASTONISHINGLY expensive.  If you don't have insurance that's going to cover that and get the price down to the affordable range, you'll want to just scratch that right off the list.  In our area, the come down after insurance price when your insurance doesn't really cover it?  $350 an hour.  The private price?  $200 an hour.  I've seen bills as expensive as a car.  Can't afford that, not me.  

-When in doubt, look for referral lists for psychs known to be really kick butt at ASD.  Once you find them, you're in the loop.  

Ok, tips of the day, but only because I'm waiting for dd to get back so we can go to the library!   :)

-distinguish clinical psychologist and neuropsych.  As much as I like the idea of the Hoagies list, I'm a little burnt on the whole "clinical psychologist who happens to be 2E or specialize in 2E is therefore qualified to eval anything."  If you need a neuropsych, you need a neuropsych.  I think there were some neuropsychs on the Hoagies list for our state, but they were sort of out there, writing books on women's lib issues and stuff.  Whatever.  I'm just saying psychs at that level specialize.

-You say dysgraphia, but could I be impolite and ask if you've figured out what ELSE is going on?  That would be sort of oddball to have dysgraphia and NOTHING, absolutely nothing, else going on.  Not an expert, but just saying.  So maybe if you figure out what that *something else* is and use THAT term plus neuropsychologist plus your state, you might get farther.

-Thing three.  From my rather anemic efforts at trying to find psychs in our state, I've concluded there are good ones that come out of the woodwork and you don't necessarily find them by googling, grr.  Again, I go back to that other label you may have going on.  Yes, it's sort of like you have to narrow to what label before you can find the right neuropsych.  (See my head swirling?)  

-Sometimes those psychs that come out of the woodwork are in hospital systems, and at least around here hospital psychs are ASTONISHINGLY expensive.  If you don't have insurance that's going to cover that and get the price down to the affordable range, you'll want to just scratch that right off the list.  In our area, the come down after insurance price when your insurance doesn't really cover it?  $350 an hour.  The private price?  $200 an hour.  I've seen bills as expensive as a car.  Can't afford that, not me.  

-When in doubt, look for referral lists for psychs known to be really kick butt at ASD.  Once you find them, you're in the loop.  

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  ITA with the labels some practitioners use.  We saw an ed psych and I think she was pretty good, but since we're still having problems with school (writing being the most obvious; dyslexia tested as negative with other tester but I think could still be a possibility) I'm looking to step up to an increase in services.  Good tip with finding on the internet.  I'm still having trouble finding an "expert" in 2e, because they all list them as services, IYKWIM.  We do have one who is affiliated academically, which I would tend to go with.  I'm a little concerned that since it's an academic institution in a hospital and she's the only pediatric one, she may be more focused on more severe academic cases (medical problems which we don't have, "just" likely a LD).  We have insurance but we'll probably have to pay OOP unless we qualify somehow.