Menu

CC: What is this Denomination?

Crimson Wife

AG?

Reading through the SoF listed on a church's website, there is a reference to particular beliefs being "one of the four cardinal doctrines of the AG" but for the life of me looking over the website I can't figure out what AG is. The pastor's bio lists that he's a graduate of some Bible college I've never heard of so that's no help. The SoF looks fairly standard for an evangelical Protestant church as far as I can tell but I'm Roman Catholic so I am not super-familiar with the distinctions among all the myriad Protestant denominations.

Our family was invited to an event sponsored by this church's special needs ministry and I'm trying to decide whether or not to attend.

Probably Assemblies of God. There is a wide range of what goes on at each AG church, anywhere from holy roller to pretty tame. If you ask around and/or listen to a few sermons online, that should give you an idea of what to expect. I went to one decades ago, it had an incredible choir with unbelievable talent and the most wonderful, humble pastor one could ask for. And it was in the tame category.

Thanks! I did a search on the Assemblies of God NorCal website, and the church is indeed listed as a member. I guess the whole "holy roller" stereotype of Pentecostals is why the website plays down the affiliation.

That could be a clue that they are in the tame category since they are playing it down. I had no problem inviting friends to church at this particular one, the church only had a very short segment where people sang in tongues quietly, friends would ask what it was, but weren't offended. Many non-penecostal/charismatics attended there. I went to another church similar to AG, there was nothing in the service that indicated it was charismatic/penecostal at all. Maybe call the office and ask what the services are like?