Menu

Vocabulary Workshop-reviews from previous users? Thumbs up or down for SAT prep? How was retention?

I actually used this in high school back in the late 80s and it boosted my vocab and SAT scores. BUT we had to study the words all week for a weekly test, so retention was pretty good. I can't remember much now about the program, but I'm not sure how retention would be with just doing the workbook.

If you've used it, what are your thoughts on the program, and how was retention? Thanks! Oh, and what edition is best? Would newer be better to match up with the newer SAT tests?

• 3 weeks later...

My dd is using an older edition of this right now.  I'm pleased with how it's going.  As you said, it could be used daily all week, with a quiz on Friday. The difficulty of the words will vary by level - try to see if there is a sample list to help you decide which level to order. In addition to the book work, I'm requiring dd to use at least two words from the weekly list in her essays. That may not sound like much, but I want the words used to flow naturally with the rest of the work, based on what dd actually wants to say.  I hate reading essays that sound stilted because the student was assigned specific words to include.

We're using the 2005 edition as that was current when we started the series and I see no reason to switch mid-stream (DD is almost done with E and I have F on order). DD took the SAT last year through NUMATS talent search and medaled on the verbal section, so I've been very happy with it. Her retention has been fine with just doing it twice per week, but she's always loved words so YMMV on that.

The Sadlier-Oxford "Grammar and Writing for Standardized Tests" workbook is good for the writing section prep as well.