Menu

My Daughter WANTS a report card??!!!??

So, my dd7 is starting 2nd grade. And she wants a quarterly report card. Don't ask me where she heard abotu them, I have NO idea. I thought I had at least another 4 years.... Should I start recording grades and tally them up at the end of 9 weeks? Should I just make 'em up? wwyd? wwSWBd?

Oh, I like the idea of a self-assessment!

Last year, for dd6, the cyber charter made report cards, but I never showed them to her. I'm not a big fan of most grading systems.

Ds will get a report card from the school this year, but I'm hoping to downplay it as much as possible. He was never really challenged in regular school, and made straight A's despite some learning disabilities. They just didn't grade on the things his disabilities affected, so he didn't feel a need to work on them.

I would love to get him to come around to the idea of grading his own efforts, rather than sticking to 10/10 spelling words = A+.

I guess because my sister and mom were teachers, my daughter has always, since the age of 4, wanted a grade on every page of every subject of work she has ever done! If she gets ANYTHING wrong, she will say something like, "Did I get less than an A+?", like she wants that! Once, she wasn't paying attention, and missed a few math probs, and I gave her a B, and she almost cried!! Since then, she pays careful attention!

I grew up in an ultra competitive fam, due to my father's pushing, and my xh's fam is worse, as is he. I didn't want grades and all that, & I hate that she is like that, but she insists on it, and won't give it up for anything. I am terrified of the day she does poorly in something (besides handwriting, which she won't let me grade and she doesn't seem to care about AT ALL!!!), and I have to give her a low grade! Can't imagine!

She is VERY competetive. I've found a grade sheet on DonnaYoung.org that I will use for her. I was a teacher, so for me, keeping track of 1 child's grades is NOT a problem at all. :)

MomtoAly, yours sounds just like mine! Her handwriting is the only thing that is really bad, and she doens't care about that at all. <SIGH>

But I look for areas to critisize for lack of a better word. She is a perfectionist, and unfortunately doens't have to work too hard to hit it. And is devasted when she makes a mistake. I really want to toughen her up just a tad. I know I have plenty of time, but *I* cannot deal with the devastation!!!!!!!!!