Menu

Questions about EiL

I decided to do EiL instead of my previous literature plan to simplify my life. :)

Do I need to add a separate writing program if I'm doing Excellence in Literature with my 9th grader? I planned to do WWS 3, but after getting my hands on EiL, I see that it's a lot of writing.

Also I have two levels of EiL and plan to mix and match modules. Is 9 a good number to do in a year or can we plan more than 9?

I don't think you need an additional writing program. The Intro level has lighter writing assignments than the others, but I think it does a nice job of being a complete English credit. We do one level per year, but we do semester block scheduling, so we actually do one level in a semester. If your child is a fast reader/writer, you can certainly pick up the pace from 4 weeks/unit. However, if you add in the honors titles and the research paper, I would recommend sticking with 9 units (18 novels).

So Debbie or Nakia...here's my situation, maybe you can help me.

Doing ToG ancients this year with a group of 12 teens, almost all freshmen.  I am using Lost Tools of Writing with ancient lit for them, so they will have a good grip on the persuasive essay by the end of the year, as well as having read Virgil, Homer, Gilgamesh, Greek myths, etc.

Next year would be 10th grade, Medieval.  I am thinking that instead of LTW 2, we might all enjoy moving more in to lit analysis and nailing down what that is...but with lots of writing.  Thing is I want to use lit selections that go along with the history time period.  Should I skip that idea and just use my Medieval selection as the "honors" titles and use EiL as scheduled?  Is there enough explicit writing instruction for writing lit analysis?  In general terms I like the lit selections a lot, they just don't really line up with Medieval!  WttW is the same problem, really.  I want to schedule the books I want dangit!  But I don't know how to write it all myself.

Can anyone chime in about this?

I have not directly used EiL, but even went so far as to purchase the text last year (I was SO close).  We might get back there.  Anyway, the largest claim that people have with the issues of EiL is that there is slim to no Lit Analysis instruction.  This was the reason I did not do the EiL.  We are spending a year on Lit Analysis specifically.

Recreating the curriculum (especially if you already have one of the books) is not a terrible idea.  It is immensely time consuming, though.  I am currently recreating Omnibus I for my son.  It is going very well, but the time commitment of searching for and compiling the resources is significant.

Next year would be 10th grade, Medieval.  I am thinking that instead of LTW 2, we might all enjoy moving more in to lit analysis and nailing down what that is...but with lots of writing.  Thing is I want to use lit selections that go along with the history time period.  Should I skip that idea and just use my Medieval selection as the "honors" titles and use EiL as scheduled?  Is there enough explicit writing instruction for writing lit analysis?  In general terms I like the lit selections a lot, they just don't really line up with Medieval!  WttW is the same problem, really.  I want to schedule the books I want dangit!  But I don't know how to write it all myself.

I don't have any been there, done that.

There isn't enough lit analysis or writing instruction in EiL - which is why she suggests going through WttW & an essay writing class first.

EiL does have medieval titles - but they are spread over the whole series. (PM me w/your email address if you want the "EIL coded by time period" document another WTMer put together.)

I think you could go through WttW and assign your own pieces from your books instead of the ones she suggests, but you would have to tweak it.

So Debbie or Nakia...here's my situation, maybe you can help me.

Should I skip that idea and just use my Medieval selection as the "honors" titles and use EiL as scheduled?  Is there enough explicit writing instruction for writing lit analysis?  In general terms I like the lit selections a lot, they just don't really line up with Medieval!  WttW is the same problem, really.  I want to schedule the books I want dangit!  But I don't know how to write it all myself.

I like the idea of using your Medieval selections as the honors titles and using the EIL standard schedule to cover a base of literature and do some analysis.

There is really no writing instruction in EIL. There are examples of each type of essay she requests. If your child is a decent writer and can learn from an example how to create their own work, then it is a good fit. My kids liked this. They don't like lots of instructions. They love an example. She does give good and thoughtful prompts (something I'm incapable of). We are also able to use her prompts as springboards into discussion. I read the books. She does not give discussion notes for parents. I have never been able to successfully conduct a discussion based on notes, including those from the unit of TOG I ordered to see if that would work. I have to read a book myself in order to discuss. So for me, this isn't something missing, but for some people I recognize it is a big issue, so I thought I'd mention it.