Menu

Psychology course for an 8th grader?

I'm not sure if this will help you or not but I did see a psychology course from 7Sisters.  It says it's for high school though and from a Christian perspective.  http://7sistershomeschool.com/products-page/electives/introduction-to-psychology-from-a-christian-perspective/

I cannot vouch for them but I've been looking at their writing material.  

How good a reader is she? If she is a good reader, you could get an introductory college textbook (I like the one by Myers -- I found it very readable and really enjoyed the class I took -- either Psychology or Exploring Psychology) and a study guide (exists for Myers), and just not worry about covering the whole thing, since she is young and doesn't need to worry about high school credit. Psychology has very few prerequisites, and since she is interested, she should be fine.

Most of the high school ones I have seen seem pretty hokey.

Thank you for all the replies. I will look into them. She is a great reader, really can read  300+ pages in day if she wants to. I took her to used book sale this summer and she picked out a book but she got bored waiting for me so she decided to read it there. Kid the whole thing before we got out of the sale! 

She might like the YouTube video. She asked the other day if I picked one out yet because I guess she was planning on me adding it this year. I was planning on it for next year so maybe something really flexible and easy that I can add this year and then expand on next year would be great. She can add it in when her work is light or complete as she sees fit. 

Off to look it over. Thanks! 

How good a reader is she? If she is a good reader, you could get an introductory college textbook (I like the one by Myers -- I found it very readable and really enjoyed the class I took -- either Psychology or Exploring Psychology) and a study guide (exists for Myers), and just not worry about covering the whole thing, since she is young and doesn't need to worry about high school credit. Psychology has very few prerequisites, and since she is interested, she should be fine.

Most of the high school ones I have seen seem pretty hokey.

There are a ton of these on Amazon but it looks like the 9th edition is the latest. So far I am only seeing Exploring Psychology for Kindle on with a book, or at least not one that is under $900 but I will keep looking. 

So the Coursera class uses the Myers books. The class started in July but were able to access the lectures. I just hope we don't have to finish by Sept! Not sure how these class work. She watched the into video to the Social Psychology class and was really interested. 

Thank you!