Menu

Keystone on line school ?? anyone used this

Hello,

My daughter is a senior and we are considering using Keystone on line for her last year of high school. I noticed they had several bad reviews but those are not always reliable. If anyone has had experience using them I would love to get your feedback. Happy to give my email if that is a more suitable way to respond.

Most of the reviews, almost all of the reviews I have read about Keystone and the other schools owned by K12 are Negative.  You can look on HomeSchoolReviews and on other web sites and you can use the Search feature on WTM to search for Keystone.

However, there was a girl who posted on WTM when I first came onto WTM in 2012, who was, I believe, a Keystone student. Her family was living in an RV at that time. I seem to recall that her experience with Keystone was Positive. She was a great student and I think she was taking some AP courses from Keystone.

If your DD is a Senior, will Keystone or another school accept all of her previous credits? Has she been Home Schooled until now? Or in a Public or Private brick and mortar school? Where are her previous High School credits from?

I agree with Luckymama that more information would be helpful so that people on the forum can be more helpful to you.

BTW: During April 2012, after my wife tasked me to research new schools for our DD, I contacted Keystone and received information from them. Their literature and/or their web site indicated that they were a member of the BBB. When I asked in an email which BBB, I could not get them to answer my question. But, they were quite capable of sending me lots of emails, trying to get us to enroll DD in Keystone. At that time, we needed Middle School, which is much less common than High School and there are fewer choices available.  Keystone was one of the schools I looked into.

GL with whatever you decide to do!

OP: From your other thread about Bridgeway school, it appears that your student has been in public schools.  If  you live in a state where a state university has a High School program (e.g., in Texas, TTUISD which is run by Tech, or the High School of UT Austin) possibly the credits she has will be accepted and possibly they will issue a diploma after she completes their 12th grade requirements. Possibly look into American School. There are some people on this board who have DC there and possibly some people here who are graduates of American School. As I recall, you can request more rigorous courses from American School.   You can search for threads about it on WTM. GL

• 2 weeks later...

My family has been very happy with American School. I have a few old posts about it, if you care to search. You can also PM me with any specific questions.

Same here -- my ds is only entering his second year using American School, so I don't have any longterm experience to report, but we have been very pleased thus far. I just ordered his courses for this year less than a week ago, and all of the books and materials were shipped out the very next day and have already arrived here. Some of the exams are graded more quickly than others, but the instructors put lots of encouraging little notes on them, and if a student gets an answer wrong, the instructor provides the correct answer, as well as the applicable page(s) of the textbook for the student to review.

Edited to add: My ds didn't take any online courses or online exams, so I don't know anything about them. Ds is using the paper-based classes again this year.