Menu

Math and LA - Where to start with 1st grader??

RachelChick

We are new to HSing this year. I think I've nailed down what I'd like to do with Math and LA for my 4th and 5th graders, but what where to start with a 1st grader? I will be doing Saxon for math and Treasured Conversations and CAP W&R for LA with my older girls. I was planning on just starting with Saxon 1 with my 1st grader, but upon reading reviews (like Cathy Duffy) it doesn't seem like Saxon 1-3 is a great program. Also, where to start with LA? Both the programs that I'm using with the older girls are not implemented until grades 3 and up. I was planning to just start with WWE, but is it too dry? Is there something better? 

I know that I could spend the rest of the morning (day?!) searching the heck out of both these topics, but my brain is ready to explode. I would love to get the low-down from some of you veterans (or newbies) out there!

We are new to HSing this year. I think I've nailed down what I'd like to do with Math and LA for my 4th and 5th graders, but what where to start with a 1st grader? I will be doing Saxon for math and Treasured Conversations and CAP W&R for LA with my older girls. I was planning on just starting with Saxon 1 with my 1st grader, but upon reading reviews (like Cathy Duffy) it doesn't seem like Saxon 1-3 is a great program. Also, where to start with LA? Both the programs that I'm using with the older girls are not implemented until grades 3 and up. I was planning to just start with WWE, but is it too dry? Is there something better? 

I know that I could spend the rest of the morning (day?!) searching the heck out of both these topics, but my brain is ready to explode. I would love to get the low-down from some of you veterans (or newbies) out there!

The primary Saxon materials are quite good, so I'd say yes, they are "great." That doesn't mean that you and your dc would like them, of course. :-)

For a little person who is just six, your primary focus would be on phonics/reading skills and penmanship, both of which are components of "language arts."  :-) If your little person knows how to read already, then you're good to go. If not, choose one of the phonics methods/products we all talk about: OPGTR, Phonics Pathways, Alpha Phonics, Spalding/Spalding-spin-offs. It almost doesn't matter which one, because all of them have good results *if you stick with them.*

Would you use those math programs if you were planning to transition to Saxon later?

I am not sure what we will go to after we finish CLE and Singapore combo. I plan on using them all the way up(my 3rd grader is doing the combination too) and then go into Algebra but not sure which program that will be at this time.

For LA in first grade, I don't recommend a program especially with older children homeschooling as well. Grammar at that age can naturally flow from other materials you're using.

Phonics: Continue with program

Reading: Child reads aloud daily with books at child's level

Literature: Parent reads aloud from good book and talks about book with child

Poetry: Pick four short poems to memorize

Writing: Building from daily one-sentence copywork to two sentence copywork and possibly short, easy sentence dictation by end of year

Grammar: Using copywork, you teach and point out basic parts of sentence, parts of speech, and punctuation

I had the following guidelines for first grade grammar:

* Parts of speech: noun, pronoun, verb, and adjective definitions

* Parts of sentence: subject and predicate definitions

* Punctuation: period, question mark, exclamation

Some grammar books also work on months and week days, but dd had these as part of her morning calendar.

ETA: dd used this composition book

http://www.amazon.com/Mead-MEA09956-Primary-Journal-K-2nd/dp/B001JTL032/ref=pd_sim_op_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PDSK934XYS2XAZCGJH9

It should be available for much cheaper in the school supplies section at Target or WalMart.

I'd write out the sentence (pulled from a phonics reader) then watch dd carefully to make sure she was forming her letters neatly and correctly. If she did a letter incorrectly, I'd write the letter, talking through its formation, and ask for three perfect copies.

Back to the sentence, I'd state the definition of a sentence, pointing out the beginning capital letter and ending punctuation mark. If dd was working on nouns, I'd state the definition, have her repeat it back to me, and ask dd to point out the nouns in the sentence (with my help, if needed).

Once the grammar and writing lesson was complete, dd would draw and color a picture.

Thank you, all! Good info. Keeping my 1st grader's school schedule pretty simple is a high priority for me, so I appreciate your suggestions. I'm guessing that FLL covers parts of speech and sentences as well as grammar? Also, what on earth are all the different books in the Saxon elementary levels? Meeting? Do I need manipulatives or can we just use things around our home?

Thank you, all! Good info. Keeping my 1st grader's school schedule pretty simple is a high priority for me, so I appreciate your suggestions. I'm guessing that FLL covers parts of speech and sentences as well as grammar? Also, what on earth are all the different books in the Saxon elementary levels? Meeting? Do I need manipulatives or can we just use things around our home?

"Parts of speech" = grammar. :-)

Can't answer your Saxon question, though. I prefer the simplicity of Rod and Staff's "Beginning Arithmetic." :-)

I just made my meeting book from free resources on-line :)  I put in a calendar, skip counting pages, some graphing for weather and temperature.  Daily we do calendar, I choose a number to skip-count with, track the weather (sunny, cloudy, rainy, windy snowy) and temperature (cold, cool, warm, hot, very hot).  The teacher book tells you what to set out for the clock and money cup, but I just hand them an amount of play money to count out to me a few times per week.  You would need the teacher book, most of the manipulatives, and the workbook pages.  We are half-way thru Saxon 1, and another child is almost done w/ Saxon 3.  I actually like the way it teaches :)

Look at LOE Foundations for LA.