Menu

Memorizing math facts - new study

I found this study interesting.  They researched brain activity when children memorize math facts and showed that children who memorize their math facts go farther in math studies because they have to use less of their brain.  I thought it might be worthwhile to add to our discussions of learning math.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/08/18/kids-brains-reorganize-when-learning-math-skills/?intcmp=latestnews

Thanks for sharing.    I think MOST people would agree that besides understanding the math behind the computation, being able to recall the facts quickly definitely frees up working memory resources, and the more you use anything in your brain the easier it is to recall it, but it is nice that there is now scientific proof to back it up. 

It is the next step that I want to see, honeslty.  What if memorization is just incredibly hard or even virtually impossible for a student?  What do they do?  

What I would really like to see is a detailed, long term, comprehensive scientific study of people starting in childhood and tracking into adulthood that are unable to memorize math facts effectively and why they struggle.  Also, how that affects functionality in school and into adult life, how it affects self-esteem, plus time spent working on memorization that is ineffective vs. using that time for more effective learning scenarios and whether constant drill and kill for years and years with only limited results is preferable to an alternate form of instruction or relying on technology instead.  Because I really don't know the full answer here....  What I do know is that there are a lot of highly intelligent people, including people who function really well with complex higher level math, that are lousy at basic computation, despite years of trying.  And many get the impression that they are terrible at math, when they actually aren't.  They just struggle to make computation automatic.  And I would love to know why.  And what the best path for those people really is.

What if memorization is just incredibly hard or even virtually impossible for a student?  What do they do?  

Use a multiplication chart for 3rd to 6th grade math and use a scientific calculator for pre-algebra onwards.  While I do know how to use the paper copy of the sine, cosine, tangent, log, exponent and stats tables,  using a scientific calculator doesn't hurt.

Over reliance on anything is not good. There is nothing wrong with appropriate use of calculators. Geometry doesn't need memorization of math facts, it needs an open mind instead :)  Calculus doesn't need math facts memorization either.

ETA:

Anyway this was from Dr Menon's latest published work

"No behavioral measures, including intelligence quotient, working memory, or mathematical abilities, predicted performance improvements. In contrast, pretutoring hippocampal volume predicted performance improvements. Furthermore, pretutoring intrinsic functional connectivity of the hippocampus with dorsolateral and ventrolateral prefrontal cortices and the basal ganglia also predicted performance improvements. Our findings provide evidence that individual differences in morphometry and connectivity of brain regions associated with learning and memory, and not regions typically involved in arithmetic processing, are strong predictors of responsiveness to math tutoring in children."

As someone with two completely different kids... I'm watching my first grader absorb math facts effortlessly. My fourth grader is now learning her multiplication facts, again (3rd year in a row). We don't all have the same aptitudes for math facts. I find the research fascinating. And thanks to everyone's recommendations, I continue to drill facts with my oldest but I let her use a chart for her work. She may never be a famous mathematician, but she outpaces her peers conceptually in math. I made it through college level calculus and I was much like her. I still managed to work as a chemist. I bet she'll be just fine in the long run.

And I'm weird, so I'll contribute this too.

Preterm infant hippocampal volumes correlate with later working memory deficits

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18799516

My oldest daughter was preterm and has working memory deficits (seen during psychoeducational testing). Possibly her working memory deficits are related to low hippocampal volumes. And low hippocampal volumes correlate with difficulty in rote learning facts. Anyway, it's fun to speculate on what makes us who we are. Thanks for posting this.