Menu

Would someone compare R&S math with CLE math?

OnTheBrink

I am currently using R&S 4 and ordered the first 2 light pacs for math 4 to compare/contrast. CLE (4) was covered a few more details than R&S, but when I compared the scope and sequence through grade 6 I found that they lined up fairly well. I decided to stick with R&S and not jump ship because I found it to be a bit more hand-held; math is not my strong area and I need that - CLE did not offer me any hand-holding.

Then I switched my younger ds to CLE math 5; he used R&S math 1-4. R&S math is mastery based and CLE math is spiral. CLE math prepares dc for higher math (algebra & geometry)better than R&S math imho.

I bought CLE math 5-7 to make sure I wanted to switch away from R&S BEFORE we made the switch. I'm very pleased w/CLE math.

Join the CLE yahoo group to see samples http://groups.yahoo.com/group/christianlightfamilies/

I was going to ask the same thing. My 2nd grade son is using R&S math. He is a slow learner, and it is working okay with him. But honestly, I give him the book, explain what needs to be explained, and let him go. (he prefers this over the 'me teaching him' style that we had gone through with RightStart). Anyway, in recent posts, I have been intrigued by the comments that CLE is more independent than R&S--so I thought it might be a better fit for us since I'm not using the teachers guide with R&S. But I hate to jump the math ship again.

R&S:

Includes grammar and writing lessons, but no spelling or penmanship lessons

You must copy work on notebook paper

Includes worksheets you can buy to supplement lessons

Supposedly more intense diagramming

Very religious, lots of farming themes, old-fashioned themes, black & white pages

Not too teacher intensive

Reviews previous material

CLE

Includes grammar, penmanship, spelling, some vocab, but no formal writing lessons. You'll need to order a separate writing program. (We are using the 400 series and there have been lessons on note taking and paragraph unity, so there are some writing exercises, but nothing formal)

Student works right in their workbook

Includes diagramming, but not too much of it

religious, but not overwhelmingly so, more modern themes, a nice bit of color on the pages

Not teacher intensive, but allows for more independent working than R&S

Reviews previous material

I reviewed CLE Lang Arts and Math on my blog. HTH!