Menu

s/o perfectionism

In another thread Mandy in TN said :

she doesn't want to be in a situation or perform in a situation where she isn't the best or feels that her performance or score will be less than she wants.

and it really rang a bell with me for younger DD.  I used to feel that older DD had some perfectionism traits - until recently when younger DD showed me what real perfectionism is lol! 

What are your tips for gently teaching a child like this that it is ok to make mistakes or not be the best?

ETA: added quote attribution

I'll let you know when I figure it out, lol.

Was that my post (might have been)?

Thing is, as my dd gets older, I'm finding it to be more of a personality trait, and less something that can be "changed". My hope for this upcoming year at home is to harness that energy for good, rather than for evil :D

I plug it all of the time here, but this book, Mindset, was helpful for us.  It gave me a vocabulary to use with my perfectionist.  We talk a lot about growth vs. fixed mindset and so forth.  We had discussed the topic many, many times, and we always focused on effort vs. end product, etc. as much as possible.  But the book was still very helpful to me in framing our conversations.  It was not a magical cure, however.  For some kids I think it is just a long-term struggle. Maturity has seemed to help some, but we still struggle with this.  However, I know we are at least having valuable and helpful conversations, if that makes sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Mindset-The-New-Psychology-Success/dp/0345472322

The cover info is a bit misleading IMO.  The content is helpful in dealing with perfectionism.

I bought it to help my DS1, but in the process of reading it, I definitely recognized a lot about myself.  I knew I had perfectionistic tendencies, but this book really helped me look at some of my own behaviors and beliefs.

edited to add that NPR has had several shows on about fostering "Grit" in our children.  http://www.npr.org/blogs/ed/2014/03/17/290089998/does-teaching-kids-to-get-gritty-help-them-get-ahead  which has some overlap with this topic.