Menu

More math questions: DS11 and Teaching Textbooks

We are a MUS family...or we were. Ahem.  DD8 has a serious dislike for it.  So we dropped it with her.  It's going to be too much for DS5 for kindergarten.  He is the perfect candidate for unschooling, honestly. My newest plan with him is lots of math games and Khan Academy...this brings me to DS11.  He was going to move into MUS Zeta this year. I was offered Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra to use with him for FREE for the year.  I've looked through the Table of Contents and it all looks doable for him.  He has already done the first 14 or 15 lessons (through MUS), so that's review.  He has even touched on some items throughout the other lessons.  I think he can totally handle it.  It just seems weird to be putting my 6th grader in pre-algebra.  Is it odd?  Will he be okay? Thanks for your reassurances!

We only used TT for one year, but it's generally accepted that it runs about a year behind other programs. For that reason, I'd give it a whirl and see what you think. When he's done, however, don't assume he'll necessarily be ready for a standard algebra 1 course. He might benefit from another year of middle school math before tackling it.

My average math student 11 year old is doing TT7.  

TT isn't necessarily "ahead" of other programs, but it also teaches a little differently than other programs.  So, if you think he'll be fine in pre-Algebra he probably will be!

Did you give him the placement test on the TT website?