Menu

Pie Jesu is our first first grade musical selection - anyone care to enlighten me

I see this is listed by Gabriel Faure, but that Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote Requiem in memory of his father.

I'm not Catholic but desire to understand more of this piece and its use in catholic worship.  I would also love to hear your thoughts on what may be important to share with my first grader about it.  By that I mean what do I draw attention to as we listen, or should we simply listen and not talk at all, lol.

It's a beautiful piece and after reading the english translation, I think the words are lovely so I will definitely share those.

Showing my complete ignorance here but this video almost makes it seem like this was a movie, although this could just be a thing done for the song...

Thanks for taking the time, the more I search, the more confused I am becoming.

Just because this is so beautiful, I felt I should link it as well for anyone who may not have heard anything like this before.  I am SUPER new to listening to classical music and think it is amazing how it evokes such emotion.

The Fauré "Requiem" is one of my favorite works and that is saying something from this Mediaevalist! The 'Pie Jesu' is part of the Requiem Mass (Mass for the Dead) and is the last verse of the sequence 'Dies irae', though it is often set toward the end of the composition. Although various settings of the 'Pie Iesu' (especially those written for solo voice) are sung outside of a requiem mass and even outside of a funeral setting, it is a work that is liturgically part of the Missa defunctorum (literally Mass of the Dead). As an aside I'll tell you that many musically uneducated brides request a 'Pie' to be sung in their weddings. There are many sarcastic responses which are shared among church musicians (and we can be a catty bunch!); but, usually, we manage to gracefully point out the problem inherent with singing a funeral piece during a wedding.

In the first version Webber has combined the text of the 'Pie' with the text from the 'Agnus Dei' (another part of the Mass). Based on the video the piece looks like it's referencing the Blitz and possibly Webber's father's experiences, though that's a guess on my part. ALW was born in the late 40s, as I recall, so his father would have been an adult.

With a first grader who has had no prior exposure to either choral classical music or the RC Mass I'd listen to several requiems (I'd recommend Fauré, Duruflé, and Mozart for your first exposure). These composers' works are standard repertoire, are easily accessible, and good recordings are easy to find. You could talk about how composers took parts of the Liturgy and set them to music to honor various people or events. You'll no doubt notice even with the three composers I listed that none of them followed an *exact* model; there are differences between the works.

If you have more specific questions, just let me know.

I meant to ask what exactly is confusing you?

The text of the Pie Iesu:

Pie Iesu Domine Pious Lord Jesus

Dona eis requiem; Grant them rest

Pie Iesu Domine Pious Lord Jesus

Dona eis requiem sempiternam Grant them eternal rest.

Webber's 'Pie Iesu':

Pie Iesu, Pious Lord Jesus

Qui tollis peccata mundi, Who takes away the sins of the world

Dona eis requiem. Grant them rest.

Pie Iesu, Pious Lord Jesus

Qui tollis peccata mundi, Who takes away the sins of the world

Dona eis requiem. Grant them rest.

Sempiternam requiem Everlasting rest.

The text of the 'Agnus Dei' in a Requiem Mass. (The text is slightly different in an Ordinary Mass.)

Angus Dei, Lamb of God

Qui tollis peccata mundi Who takes away the sins of the world

Dona eis requiem Grant them rest.

<chanted/sung twice>

Agnus Dei, Lamb of God

Qui tollis peccata mundi, Who takes away the sins do the world

Dona eis requiem sempiternam. Grant them eternal rest.

<chanted/sung once>

What I'd share with a 1st grader:

The English translation. What does it mean?  Why sing it in Latin?

Listening: Big ole' explanation on the difference between the voice of a child and a grown woman. Children will inevitably try some vibrato on for size, but they should know that vibrato will come naturally when they are grown ups.  I talk about how the size of the instrument determines how high/low the sound. A child's natural singing voice is quite high. 

I point out how light and airy the children in my link sound when they sing the high notes, how when you see this sort of thing live that you can almost feel the sound waves on your face, especially in a building with awesome acoustical architecture. I will do a rendition that is Not so light and airy...let them try.

If we still have their attention, I will go into some vocal technique. A 1st grader is big enough to learn to sing from their Tummy Machine (diaphragmatic breathing) and to form pure vowel sounds when singing.  Most 6yos have a natural ear if asked to sing in their own range...most can mimic pie jesu better in tune than the kiddie song recordings sold today.

I would do all this over many days, enjoying just listening while you go about life for the most part.

The Fauré "Requiem" is one of my favorite works and that is saying something from this Mediaevalist! The 'Pie Jesu' is part of the Requiem Mass (Mass for the Dead) and is the last verse of the sequence 'Dies irae', though it is often set toward the end of the composition. Although various settings of the 'Pie Iesu' (especially those written for solo voice) are sung outside of a requiem mass and even outside of a funeral setting, it is a work that is liturgically part of the Missa defunctorum (literally Mass of the Dead). As an aside I'll tell you that many musically uneducated brides request a 'Pie' to be sung in their weddings. There are many sarcastic responses which are shared among church musicians (and we can be a catty bunch!); but, usually, we manage to gracefully point out the problem inherent with singing a funeral piece during a wedding.

In the first version Webber has combined the text of the 'Pie' with the text from the 'Agnus Dei' (another part of the Mass). Based on the video the piece looks like it's referencing the Blitz and possibly Webber's father's experiences, though that's a guess on my part. ALW was born in the late 40s, as I recall, so his father would have been an adult.

With a first grader who has had no prior exposure to either choral classical music or the RC Mass I'd listen to several requiems (I'd recommend Fauré, Duruflé, and Mozart for your first exposure). These composers' works are standard repertoire, are easily accessible, and good recordings are easy to find. You could talk about how composers took parts of the Liturgy and set them to music to honor various people or events. You'll no doubt notice even with the three composers I listed that none of them followed an *exact* model; there are differences between the works.

If you have more specific questions, just let me know.

Lovely explanation. The only thing I would add is that it is regularly used in the special mass to commemorate All Souls Day, as well as at funerals. All Souls Day falls on Nov 2, right after All Saints Day, but is often moved to the nearest Sunday after Nov 2.

Many traditional Episcopal churches do the Durufle or Faure settings. If there is a good sized church in your area that is known for its music, it might be interesting to attend and hear the piece in context.

Btw, All Souls commemorates all those who have gone before us (died).