Menu

Suggestions for Mann Booker award winners for a 14-year old boy who has loved Name of the Rose, The Luninaries, and Solaris

***See post 8 for new question. But the title really says it all**

DS has just finished Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco; The Luminaries by Catton; and Solaris by Lem.  And loved them!

These are all pretty dense, intellectual-type books.  Can anyone recommend me some more.

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

If he liked Name of the Rose, he might like Wolf Hall (and sequel(s)).  It's written in the historical present, from the point of view of one character, so that takes getting used to.  However, it's a big, well-written, meaty book, that takes you deep into the working of (any) power structure through the medium of the Tudor court.

L

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He just finished and loved Cryptonomicon, and has started Goedel, Escher, and Bach.  He spent 4 hours reading it yesterday. Thanks for the suggestions!

We will get to the others in this thread,  but I have an additional question.  Are there any other Mann Booker award winners or short listed books that are appropriate and interesting for a 14 year old boy.  Luminaries was a murder mystery and absolutely fabulous, deep, and complex.  Seems that there have to be others that he would like. He would like to set a goal for himself to start reading through these books, but I know some are really too mature.

Ideas?

If he liked Name of the Rose, he might like Wolf Hall (and sequel(s)).  It's written in the historical present, from the point of view of one character, so that takes getting used to.  However, it's a big, well-written, meaty book, that takes you deep into the working of (any) power structure through the medium of the Tudor court.

L

I just wanted to thank you for this post, Laura. I ordered Wolf Hall and accidentally spent most of today reading it.  :blush: It's been so long since I've read historical fiction. I hope the OP doesn't mind me asking but do you have any more similar suggestions?