Menu

Course Descriptions and the Common App

blossom12

Hello!

I am completely new to the world of college applications but I get the feeling I will be spending a lot of time at the hive over the next few months.  :D

For those of you who are providing course descriptions, is there a place for that on the Common App or do you send that in separately via snail mail?

Also, for colleges who do not request course descriptions, did any of you submit them anyway just to be thorough?

Thanks!

A year ago, I had the same question:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/488453-course-descriptions-in-common-app/?hl=%2Bcommon

The Common App gives the opportunity to upload multiple transcripts. I uploaded the regular transcript as first transcript and the file with the course descriptions as 2nd transcript. The CA is the same for all schools, so even the ones who do not want to see descriptions get them.

For a school with a separate application system, I'd submit them anyway, even if not requested.

Welcome to the craziness. There were many threads discussing the CA last year, since they rolled out the new version. You may find it helpful to search the archives on this board.

The Common App gives the opportunity to upload multiple transcripts. I uploaded the regular transcript as first transcript and the file with the course descriptions as 2nd transcript. The CA is the same for all schools, so even the ones who do not want to see descriptions get them.

For a school with a separate application system, I'd submit them anyway, even if not requested.

Ditto.

For those of you who are providing course descriptions, is there a place for that on the Common App or do you send that in separately via snail mail?

Also, for colleges who do not request course descriptions, did any of you submit them anyway just to be thorough?

My daughter has now graduated from college, so my experience is not current.  At that time, my daughter used the Common Application and submitted that electronically.  I mailed the following documentation: transcript, course descriptions, reading and textbook lists, a letter of recommendation written by me as well as a non-academic letter of recommendation written by her employer of three years.  (In two cases, I also mailed a portfolio of work as requested/suggested by the colleges.)  Her academic letters of recommendation were submitted by their authors.

I sent the complete documentation package to all ten of the colleges to which she applied (even if they did not request all of the components).  Since I had done the work, I figured I'd take maximum advantage of it.

Regards,

Kareni

I made one document - the transcript was the first page and subsequent pages were the course descriptions.  I uploaded that one.  When I first did the Common App, there wasn't the option of multiple transcripts, so I just did the same for my 2nd son.  Letters of Recommendation were uploaded to the CA by the recommenders using a link sent to them by the Common App once they were listed as recommenders.  The only thing I had to have sent via snail mail was an official transcript from the local LAC where my son took classes.