Menu

Applications of Grammar and Writing Strands 4 in 9th

Just wondering if it is possible to do each of these in a semester, and if so, which should be completed first? We'll be using the writing lessons in MFW Ancients too, and didn't want to overextend her. We're also still working through AAS.

Thanks.

Just wondering if it is possible to do each of these in a semester, and if so, which should be completed first? We'll be using the writing lessons in MFW Ancients too, and didn't want to overextend her. We're also still working through AAS.

Thanks.

We did grammar first, then Writing Strands, because I thought dd needed the grammar foundation first.

Each level of Writing Strands is about a semester's worth of writing instruction.

We did grammar first, then Writing Strands, because I thought dd needed the grammar foundation first.

Each level of Writing Strands is about a semester's worth of writing instruction.

Ok, thanks. I'll be able to plan better once everything is in hand, but it's good to know that each can be done in a semester.

in the context of doing them with mfw's ahl..... 

I would consider the possibility ot doing a good portion of them before starting the bible/history/english in AHL.  You'd still have math and science as well during that time.   Maybe 4 weeks or so?    Depending on need, I'd probably go with a focus on WS first,. and using applications of grammar as extra practice during the year.  

but to be honest?   I'd use 9th grade Easy Grammar (the utlitmate series) instead of applications of grammar while doing mfw's ahl.  I know that goes against their recommendation but it's easier to understand and get done and all of that.  applications can be done as you go along in the program if you prefer that book.   you might have to use it as a reference for the first couple of weeks in your ahl stuff.  but lessons are quick to do in that.  it's about 75 lessons. 

The biggest thing to have ready for week 1 of AHL is the ability to write one quality paragraph.    The first week assumes that skill is there and then take that skill to expand it to 5 paragraph essay structure for argumenative style.  I think the skills from WS 4 to have for that foundation will focus more on sentence structure.  so you won't have to have finished the whole WS4 book in order to start AHL.    Also, given the workload of AHL, there will be times that you will have time to pick up WS to work from it for 30 minutes a day or so when other writing is not happening in the "english grid", or to use WS instead of "optional reading assignments."

I can share a specific week where that makes sense, but I need to find my ahl planner from last year.

in the context of doing them with mfw's ahl.....

I would consider the possibility ot doing a good portion of them before starting the bible/history/english in AHL. You'd still have math and science as well during that time. Maybe 4 weeks or so? Depending on need, I'd probably go with a focus on WS first,. and using applications of grammar as extra practice during the year.

but to be honest? I'd use 9th grade Easy Grammar (the utlitmate series) instead of applications of grammar while doing mfw's ahl. I know that goes against their recommendation but it's easier to understand and get done and all of that. applications can be done as you go along in the program if you prefer that book. you might have to use it as a reference for the first couple of weeks in your ahl stuff. but lessons are quick to do in that. it's about 75 lessons.

The biggest thing to have ready for week 1 of AHL is the ability to write one quality paragraph. The first week assumes that skill is there and then take that skill to expand it to 5 paragraph essay structure for argumenative style. I think the skills from WS 4 to have for that foundation will focus more on sentence structure. so you won't have to have finished the whole WS4 book in order to start AHL. Also, given the workload of AHL, there will be times that you will have time to pick up WS to work from it for 30 minutes a day or so when other writing is not happening in the "english grid", or to use WS instead of "optional reading assignments."

I can share a specific week where that makes sense, but I need to find my ahl planner from last year.

Okey dokey. I've not seen either grammar program, so am not invested either way. I'm wide open to anything that will "get done" lol! I also don't have the lit supp yet, so don't know how anything will. Fit. I'm working on it...

I'm looking at Easy Grammar on ebay and have no idea what I'm looking 5/for. Sigh...

I would say Easy Grammar Plus. I'd get the student book *and* the teacher book. It's just easier that way.

And if you do get Easy Grammar (which is my favorite, btw) *you* must correct each page before your dc goes on to the next. Yes, really. More than one parent has rued the day when she allowed her dc to check his own work after discovering that her dc had completed most of the book and had gotten almost everything wrong, even though he had said things were going fine, such that he has to start back at the beginning of the book. So, yes, you take a few minutes to make corrections after every.single.page.

Depending on the background of your student, you might be just fine using the Easy Grammar Ultimate series.   Here's a link to the grade 9 teacher edition.   I just use the teacher book as it has the answers in the back and is all you need for that series of Easy Grammar products. (yes, correct and check work daily)

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/002187

I can't recall the details of your dd's grammar background at the schools the last year, but if she has had grammar instruction, she may not need additional workbook with ahl.   AHL has a grammar program within the Lit/comp/grammar guide.  My middle daughter used the 9th grade Easy Grammar Ultimate guide to warm up her brain each day.