Menu

Best vocab for dyslexics?

I just got ds's test results back today and both my boys score exactly the same poor score on vocabulary. The recommendation was to do a specific vocab program separately because their dyslexia interferes with their vocabulary despite listening to a ton of language. It is particularly affecting my younger ds's ability to comprehend. What vocab programs work well for dyslexics?

Well, we have done Wordly Wise 3000, but the on-line version, while it worked ok, could get really frustrating and didn't seem to help with long-term retention as well as the paper version.    We did the paper version for a while and intend to continue with that in the fall.  It wasn't bad.  Reading books together and actively discussion words and phrases also helped.  But DD still struggles far more with vocab than DS.  She just doesn't seem to pick up vocab in context as well as DS and explicit instruction has to be reviewed periodically or it is lost.  Not sure I helped much.  Sorry.

I don't really know what level to place them at - they both scored average on the vocab subtest of WISC IV but it was the lowest score of the test for both. I already have Vocab from Classical Roots 4, so I'm wondering if I should use that for older ds. I don't know what to use for younger ds who is 2nd grade.

I don't really know what level to place them at - they both scored average on the vocab subtest of WISC IV but it was the lowest score of the test for both. I already have Vocab from Classical Roots 4, so I'm wondering if I should use that for older ds. I don't know what to use for younger ds who is 2nd grade.

Maybe try the Freerice with the younger until his reading instruction is further along.  You might want to add a basic suffix study right now.  Was it your son that was struggling with the word "does"?  ETA:  Maybe explore plural and singular forms of verbs and nouns using simple words from what he is reading.

I don't know what O-Gs typically use for morphology.  Maybe SandyKC has ideas or perhaps call Susan Barton? I've been winging morphology and vocabulary all this time. 

My ds has a Franklin digital dictionary which is easier for him to use than a dictionary--it can help both to be able to look words up, and also to play some of its games and ask for definitions of strange words that come up. (Also it has an SAT word list, but that is probably beyond the stage you mean right now.) My ds really needs to use words in order to make them his own. 

We have a book called vocabulary for the College Bound--I like the title and idea, but frankly it has not been used much.

I'm wondering about the same thing so I'll be following this. The best answer I got from the O-G fellow who trained me was picture vocabulary, to just practice picture vocabulary extensively. So what we're doing right now is we're going through Memoria Press' Read-Aloud & Enrichment program (for first grade, so mainly high level picture books). Each book has a list of vocabulary so I'm creating picture vocabulary cards for each word with a basic clipart pic from google printed on the front and the word and a very short definition on the back. I hold them up as I read the book, just casually pointing out the words as we get to them to connect them with the story. I figure this gets things in context and visual, both things that seem to help dyslexics retain knowledge. 

I'm wondering about the same thing so I'll be following this. The best answer I got from the O-G fellow who trained me was picture vocabulary, to just practice picture vocabulary extensively. So what we're doing right now is we're going through Memoria Press' Read-Aloud & Enrichment program (for first grade, so mainly high level picture books). Each book has a list of vocabulary so I'm creating picture vocabulary cards for each word with a basic clipart pic from google printed on the front and the word and a very short definition on the back. I hold them up as I read the book, just casually pointing out the words as we get to them to connect them with the story. I figure this gets things in context and visual, both things that seem to help dyslexics retain knowledge. 

This sounds like a good idea for dyslexia plus hearing impaired...or also esl.

I'm not sure if OP's children, either or both of them, are still at a stage where they need the sort of vocabulary that lends itself to being shown by pictures. I know it is hard for OP to state a "level"--but maybe to name some words that her children understand at the hard end, and some that they do not yet understand would help people to be able to post useful resources. There is such a huge range of what a specific dyslexic child might be struggling with at any particular age.