Menu

ISO blog post about teaching computer programming

Ugg, I hate that I didn't mark the thread.

It was a post by a woman that linked to her blog written by her husband, a homeschooling father. The blog post (or maybe a series) was about how they teach programming in their house.

Scratch has just come out with Scratch Jr for iPads btw ... I haven't had chance to look at it yet but it is aimed at 5-7 year olds so should be interesting. I am a computer programmer and have been teaching coding to kids since I was a college student, and I like starting with Scratch or Alice (Alice is more complex so this is a better fit for older students) and then Python.

Scratch has just come out with Scratch Jr for iPads btw ... I haven't had chance to look at it yet but it is aimed at 5-7 year olds so should be interesting. I am a computer programmer and have been teaching coding to kids since I was a college student, and I like starting with Scratch or Alice (Alice is more complex so this is a better fit for older students) and then Python.

My programmer 12 year old has been playing around with Scratch Jr all weekend. He thinks it's pretty good for the younger crowd, and it provided a weekend or fun for our older crowd. He is writing a post about it right now :)

Scratch is a great place to start!