Menu

Advanced math courses?

Sorry for all the math posts today, but today is my "math" day, lol. I have pretty much everything else figured out...except math for my high school students. 

I am looking for an advanced math course for my daughter who completed Algebra 2 last year. She has technically graduated but b/c of her current situation and mental health challenges she will not be ready to start college this year. However, she has asked to continue her studies and wants an advanced math course. She is not living at home so I will not be able to assist or teach her and I do not know if she has access to a computer for online classes and I know she does not have access to a DVD player for a DVD course like TT or MUS (which was my preference for her). I know that VHSG has classes for Saxon Advanced Math (should she have access to a computer for the class) but I hesitate to use Saxon b/c she did NOT do well with Saxon Algebra 1 way back when. ;) Totally hit a wall and we had to switch to Lials. Could somebody list all the textbook Advanced Math courses out there? Something that includes Trig, Pre-Calc. Analytical Geometry, etc. Thank you. :)

I really am not certain what she used as she completed it at the facility where she it. :( I know she did well and did not have any problems. I don't need her to do ALL those courses...I just know that some programs lump a bit of all those subjects together into one course and call it Advanced Math. 

Kareni, what do you think of the LoF advanced math books? I'm not very concerned about how "complete" they are as she does not need this for a credit and I doubt she is moving on into a STEM field or a career in math. She wants it more for "self-study" to keep her mind occupied and the concepts fresh for when she is able to take the SAT/ACT and college placement exams.  Thanks.

Kareni, what do you think of the LoF advanced math books?

We did not use any of them in our own family.  My husband (who tutors math and science) has tutored a couple of students who used LoF; those students have used Beginning Algebra, Advanced Algebra, and Geometry but no higher.  Aside from the small number of practice problems (as compared to the Lial's books, for example), my husband has been favorably impressed with the content.

Regards,

Kareni

Both my children enjoy life of fred and have done well with it.  They are quite mathy.  For some subjects like trig and geometry lof is all dd has used other than the NEM books and she tests well.  She did lof calculus with a copy of calculus for dummies by her side.  Anything she didn't quite understand she did in the dummies book also.  She describes her Fred overview as a fabulous introduction which gave her a huge amount of confidence but fully admits she was not ready for the AP exam afterwards.  She is currently finishing a Coursera calculus class and plans to start a serious study of Statistics afterwards by using the lof book first.

I hope this helps your decision somewhat.  Personally I think Fred would be a good way to self study if your dd enjoys the humour.  There are samples available and I would have her try reading some of the samples just to make sure she finds them funny.  We have a lot of discussions about the oddities of Fred's life around my house.  I would also make sure she has another text of some sort available if she wants to explore a bit further or look something up.  Occasionally a term is mentioned but not explained in lof which dd finds a bit irritating even though she doesn't need to know it.