Menu

2 sciences for 9th grade year?

Would you consider doing two sciences for 9th grade?  I was specifically thinking about biology and physics.  I was thinking about biology because I wanted to see about doing at least one AP this year, to have that experience before we get to a year where he will be taking several tests like that at once.  And physics because that is a great interest, and because of the idea about doing physics first.  Anyway, is that too ambitious?

ETA: I was thinking more that the physics AP exam would come later, after taking a second AP Physics class later in the high school years. 

You could try spreading one of the sciences out over two years so that he's only doing 1.5 credits instead of 2. That's what we're planning for my ds for his 9th grade year: 1 credit of algebra-based physics plus part of a biology credit, which will be spread over 2-3 years. This is his choice in order to reach a personal goal, and I'm fine with it. We have a back-up plan in case it turns out to be too much work.

Edited my post to eliminate all the unnecessary details!

I would not schedule AP Biology unless your son has already studied high school level chemistry. 

Fwiw, my oldest took AP Physics B and chemistry in the same year.  If you would like your son to get exposure to AP exams this year, you could have him take one or both of the AP Physics exams (the algebra based exams).  However, the downside is that the exams are new this year.

Good luck in your planning.

Are you planning on being light in another area to make time for the double booked science?

It's the total schedule matters.

My DD 9th is essentially double-booked in science doing bio and a totally non-bio-related science fair project. I didn't choose the most time consuming Engllish or history texts to give her time for this.

My daughter has decided to go to the local public high school (last child - lonely at home and the school is very good) but had she stayed she would have done 2 sciences as that is her bent. She would probably have done Biology and Physics - but not the AP level. You need to do the regular level of each before taking the AP class. She does not like Biology so we would be doing that just to get it done and she would have done a science she actually liked.

To do Physics students need to at least be starting on Trig. My boys both did Physics the same year they did Pre-Calc and it worked fine. 

If you want to do an AP science, then I agree with kiana that AP Environmental Science is the way to go. It is supposed to be one of the easiest of the AP exams. My daughter may do it as an extra this year or next year is public school isn't challenging enough

My daughter has decided to go to the local public high school (last child - lonely at home and the school is very good) but had she stayed she would have done 2 sciences as that is her bent. She would probably have done Biology and Physics - but not the AP level. You need to do the regular level of each before taking the AP class. She does not like Biology so we would be doing that just to get it done and she would have done a science she actually liked.

To do Physics students need to at least be starting on Trig. My boys both did Physics the same year they did Pre-Calc and it worked fine. 

If you want to do an AP science, then I agree with kiana that AP Environmental Science is the way to go. It is supposed to be one of the easiest of the AP exams. My daughter may do it as an extra this year or next year is public school isn't challenging enough

Imo, you do not need to have prior exposure in physics before taking the algebra based AP physics classes.  As long as the student has studied algebra and knows the quadratic equation, he should be prepared mathematically to undertake the course.  The amount of trig needed can be learned in less than fifteen minutes

Imo, you do not need to have prior exposure in physics before taking the algebra based AP physics classes.  As long as the student has studied algebra and knows the quadratic equation, he should be prepared mathematically to undertake the course.  The amount of trig needed can be learned in less than fifteen minutes

My kids did science at home and the curriculum we used had a Physics year and then an AP Physics which built on the Physics. So you couldn't do AP Physics without the other. The same is true of the school my daughter is attending in the fall - you have to do Physics before you do AP Physics. Obviously if there are courses that somehow combine both it is a different story,

And I agree, my kids had no problem picking up the little bit of Trig necessary. I 100% agree you do not need to have Trig to do the standard Physics classes offered.

However, if you choose to do Physics with Calculus ... that is another story. I didn't with my boys and my son who is at Stanford had already told me to change my plan with my daughter as if a student is going to continue with Physics at college that is the one they should preferably do (he also said it is easier ... if you know calculus of course)