Menu

Cooking Lessons for 8-year-old

Confuzzled

I'm looking for a book or curriculum I can use to teach my 8-year-old to cook. I'm not interested in a bunch of recipes like stuffing peanut butter into celery or making English muffin pizzas.

My ideal book/curriculum would be more than just recipes. It would have systematic lessons with recipes that would cover cooking basics. The lessons would be progressive.

Is there such a thing?

Kris

I haven't done anything formal with my eight year old but she can make cookies, pancakes and muffins. I have her help me make dinner from time to time.

We have two cookbooks for kids: Kids' Healthy Cooking by Jean Pare and The Children's Step by Step Cookbook by Angela Wilkes. The latter could be very close to what you're looking for.

Have you seen this website? http://www.kids-cooking-activities.com/index.html If you click on the section titled Kids Cooking Lessons it has lessons broken down by age group. There are 13 lessons for the ages 7 to 11, and it even covers etiquette! You do have to scroll past all the ads, though, to get to the information. But it's free! :D

If I come across anything else, I'll be back to let you know! HTH!

ETA: What about a basic home economics book? I've seen the Pearable's Home Economics mentioned here before (it's written from a Christian perspective, so know that upfront), but the Level 2 for 8 and up seems very thorough in the basics of cooking, including several chapters on baking, then meat, cheese, soups, casseroles, and candy. I haven't used it or even seen it in person, though. Here's the link to level two: http://www.pearables.com/Home%20Economics%20Level%20Two.htm.

That is a nice simple cooking plan site..thanks. Ive been looking through it...the only issue I see is on the Lesson 3 of Baking homemade bread. The recipe is different than what I do when I make bread...I think if I did that, I'd have glue...following their recipe.

white bread

1/4-1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup canola oil(or melted butter...etc)

2 cups Hot water

1 tsp salt (scant)

1 heaping tbsp Yeast Proofed in 1/4 cup HOT tap water.

Add 2 cups Flour to mixture...stir (use white flour here as you can add whole wheat later if desired..) Then add Proofed yeast. Mix gently.

Add up to 4 or so cups flour until it is looking like dough...

spread flour onto table and dump dough from bowl and begin to knead, adding flour as necessary but dont make it too dry.

I knead it about 5 minutes

Place it in a floured bowl and cover with a towel(thin, not terrycloth) or you can use plastic wrap.

once risen to at least double size, flour table again and dump dough onto table...beat it down to get all the air bubbles out... Break it into 2 or 3 balls and knead it for 2 min and then you can shape it into either rolls or loaves and let rise. Then cook at 350 deg till done.

thats the basics. We make lots of rolls here...our favorite..but we also like to use loaves and make french toast from that bread...Delish!:001_smile:

Have you seen this website? http://www.kids-cooking-activities.com/index.html If you click on the section titled Kids Cooking Lessons it has lessons broken down by age group. There are 13 lessons for the ages 7 to 11, and it even covers etiquette! You do have to scroll past all the ads, though, to get to the information. But it's free! :D

This site looks pretty good. I am guessing it is mainly to promote her ebooks that look more detailed. She has a Cooking and Learning Unit and a World Studies Unit. I can not recommend it because I just discovered it when Kirsten posted about it but it may be worth a try.

You might want to check into some home economics materials. It may give you what you want. This series is pretty reasonably priced:

http://rainbowresource.com/search.php?sid=1219665572-1799946

I found some books on Google Books that may meet the requirements you are looking for:

School and Home Cooking

By Carlotta Cherryholmes Greer

A Text-book of Cooking

By Carlotta Cherryholmes Greer

Six Little Cooks, Or, Aunt Jane's Cooking Class

By Elizabeth Stansbury Kirkland, Katherine

Lessons in Elementary Cooking

By Mary Chandler Jones

When Mother Lets Us Cook

By Constance Johnson

He's a guy from the food network channel. He is so funny, always has some "schtick" to each episode, and each episode has some food theme, like "Breakfast" or "Breads" or "Seafood". The shows weren't really meant for kids, but there is so much learning going on. We had DS watch many of them when he was 8yo. Alton Brown explains everything, all the WHY'S of doing things, like WHY you need to put butter in the fridge or freezer before adding to the pie crust recipe. He explains it scientifically and humorously. Things like that.

Anyway, you might want to check if your library has some episodes to borrow. The food network web site sells the DVD's, and I've seen them on ebay before too.

http://www.foodnetworkstore.com/p-618809-0%2061%20109-DVDs-CDs_Food-Network-Good-Eats-Vol-18-Kitchen-Classics.aspx?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SEALED-DVD-3-show-bonus-Alton-Brown-Holiday-Treats_W0QQitemZ330263171159QQihZ014QQcategoryZ11104QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

GL! - Stacey in MA

This is the book I bought - Cooking with Children:

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Children-Lessons-Really-Learn/dp/0679422978/ref=pd_cp_b_3?pf_rd_p=413864201&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0375401180&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0YXJXX20W3NM762JT922

It's got good instruction and simple recipes (but real recipes) that are easy to follow. My ds has really enjoyed using the book.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've got a bunch of books on reserve from the library now and I'll probably choose the one I like best and purchase it.

I love the idea of a comprehensive textbook like the one recommended from culinary school. Heck, I would love it for me! It's on my wish list.

You all have been a great help!

Kris

I have sent my MIL on a mission: to find a copy of Better Homes and Gardens Junior Cookbook (from 1970s). She has one, and in browsing through it, I found many technique illustrations/descriptions that I thought were fantastic. Also goes into hosting/hostessing and ettiquette.

I'm sure you can one a copy on ebay, but MIL goes antiquing, and asks for gift ideas.

There is a NEW Junior Cookbook, but that one never really impressed me.

I will be checking out some of the recommendations for the online resources - thanks everyone for sharing!

I'll add one more: "How to Cook without a Book."

Although it's not intended for children, it would be a great reference for you to use in teaching. The idea is to learn the basics of different cooking techniques and be able to apply them with or without a recipe. For example, how to make a white sauce, how to sear different cuts of meat, etc.

I went to culinary school some years ago. They do have cooking textbooks. Mine (which I still have) was called "On Cooking". It is a huge book that would last you quite some time. It covers things like knife skills, identifying cuts of meat, how to make the mother sauces, basic baking skills, etc.

Oooooh, my library system actually has this! Like Kris said, I want it for myself! :lol: I'm really excited. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

I'm having fun looking through all the other ideas, too! :bigear: