Menu

I'm confused, please help: Times Tables the Fun Way

Trivium Academy

The City Creek Program compared to the Trigger Memory program is more expensive. The Trigger Memory includes the division flashcards, multiplication flashcards, a game and a few other things for $29.95 whereas the City Creek - you have buy everything separate. The book, multiplication cards and division cards alone are $35.

I'm waiting to see who else will respond which one worked for them....

Just looking at both products, the Trigger looks like it incorporates smart ideas for memorization while the Creek one tells a long story and I really can't see how the story relates even minimally to the equation or how it will stick in the kids' head.

I'm pulling the trigger on the Trigger.

But we only had the book. I don't know if it is differnet but the book had pages we could copy and color. I then hung them in our school room. My kids loved it and learned the times tables really well. Now if our kids forget a times table I only have to say a few words and it will trigger the story and the answer. They hardly ever need the trigger words now.. I have never used the other program but the idea is similar and may not make a differnce which you use. I don't know how important the other items would be. Like I said we only used the book and nothing else.

Annmarie

I had these comments saved:

Times Tales is great, but it only covers 20 of the facts... those facts with the factors 6, 7, 8, and 9. We have had some success with it, but if I had it to do over again, I'd get Times Tables the Fun Way early on, and just use that.

My son is 11 and has a terrible time memorizing his facts. He has so many strategies that he's been given through the years that he gets confused now. :-/. I wish I'd known about Times Tables the Fun Way early on, because the stories in Times Tales have been the most successful, but like I said, they only cover some of the facts.

----------------

We love TTTFW... I bought TTTFW after so many positive reviews on this board, and it was well worth it. Memorization is so painless with the fun stories, and they're reinforced with the workbook and flashcards. I can't say enough good things about this book!

the book, student workbook, and clue cards. The workbook isn't necessary, but nice to have. The clue cards are really great, because they're flashcards with little picture clues on them which, eventually, they won't need. They have a new CD which looks cute, but no way would I spend $50 on it.

--

Times Tables the Fun Way…

that worked for my ds to remember the facts initially. However as he gained practice, he no longer needed the crutch of the stories. His current drill speeds are not hampered from learning the stories first.