Menu

Online French with Aim Academy

I could not find any reviews. I went ahead and signed DS up for French 2 though because I could find no other secular online French class options. In addition to the class, he will work with me using SYRWTLF and a French-native tutor via skype using materials she sends each lesson (we've started the skype sessions already and it's brilliant).

I could not find any reviews. I went ahead and signed DS up for French 2 though because I could find no other secular online French class options. In addition to the class, he will work with me using SYRWTLF and a French-native tutor via skype using materials she sends each lesson (we've started the skype sessions already and it's brilliant).

Thanks!  I've also had no success with finding reviews of the teacher or the class.  Your skype sessions sound perfect!  It is the live conversation that I feel like my dd really needs.  Hoping this class will provide enough of it!

I found the lack of reviews odd too. I emailed Ms. Adkins asking whether the class was secular and whether there was a placement test, and she was very nice and very responsive on both counts. I figure it is not a very expensive class, and it's not the only French he will be doing, so it's fairly low risk in my view.

Unrelated, but looking at your signature it seems we use some of the same curriculum :)

Thanks Madteaparty!  I've started e-mailing back and forth with the instructor, and her class seems rather ideal.  She caps it at 7 students and offers the extra conversation class for free each month.  Likewise, nearly all of her students continue with her for French II which tells me that they are happy with the class.  If I feel like my dd needs additional conversation, there is a local French tutor that I might hire a couple of times per month for conversation.  I think the reason I haven't been able to find reviews is that Aim Academy has only been around for 3 years.  If we decide to go with her class and enjoy it, we should offer a review here on the board so folks are aware that the class even exists! :001_smile:

It was a bilingual mom here (thanks Cleo) that brought to my attention this class; I wasn't even aware of it. I plan to write a review after the first semester. I love that the goal is to work towards real books like Les Miserables, etc.

Anyway, I've found a great tutor (lives in Southern France) via Skype. It costs I think about 28 EUR per session, which is supposed to be 45 min but it's more like an hour. I am happy to share how I found her if you ever see the need.

Thank you for this!  I was thinking about signing up for an online French class for my 9th grader.  I was actually thinking that we might just use French in Action, SYRWTLF, and other materials, and weekly online tutoring with a native speaker, as our French I.  What do you all think about the pros and cons of that?  An online class vs strictly using a native speaker as a tutor and working with me?

The only thing I don't like about the French I class is the time!  Afternoons and evenings are when we are on the go with activities.  As a homeschooler, I want to be able to do a class during the day.

Thank you for this!  I was thinking about signing up for an online French class for my 9th grader.  I was actually thinking that we might just use French in Action, SYRWTLF, and other materials, and weekly online tutoring with a native speaker, as our French I.  What do you all think about the pros and cons of that?  An online class vs strictly using a native speaker as a tutor and working with me?

The only thing I don't like about the French I class is the time!  Afternoons and evenings are when we are on the go with activities.  As a homeschooler, I want to be able to do a class during the day.

I know for French 2, she is having two sessions bc she prefers smaller classes. The initial, advertised class did not work for us as we had yet another class then, but then she advised me of the other session (which is now on the website).

As to working independently vs a class. I cannot compare the two yet, but I will say this: We did SYRWTLF and a reading program myself for 12 months or so, to good result (we still have to finish the little book, but that's because we are being thorough). It as fairly draining for me (ETA: I also work 26 hours a week approx) and he is quickly approaching the point where I can no longer teach him French bc he knows about the same now. I also do not think one learns a language via a once a week class. This semester, each week we are doing the AIM class, a 1 hour session with a tutor that comes with its own homework, and then daily work (on the other 4 days) with me on SYRWTLF and the duolingo and the like.

I do wish we could see some reviews from others who have taken the class.  That does seem a little odd.  Is it just that new?  I am struggling with what to do for French for 9th grade.  As one option, I thought we would just do Rosetta Stone daily, along with the live studio sessions, and work through a a French curriculum with myself and a native speaker tutor on Skype once a week.  As the other option, I thought just signing up for a class might be fun because it would involve the interaction with other students.

I'm not quite sure which to do.

I do wish we could see some reviews from others who have taken the class.  That does seem a little odd.  Is it just that new?  I am struggling with what to do for French for 9th grade.  As one option, I thought we would just do Rosetta Stone daily, along with the live studio sessions, and work through a a French curriculum with myself and a native speaker tutor on Skype once a week.  As the other option, I thought just signing up for a class might be fun because it would involve the interaction with other students.

I'm not quite sure which to do.

I'm fairly certain that the fact that Aim has only been around for 3 years is the reason behind the lack of reviews.  I don't think my local French tutor is going to work out after all, so I really do have to choose an online class.  I had it narrowed down to Aim or Potter's School.  The class size at Potter's School is nearly double the Aim class, but there is also an extra optional weekly conversation class.  You have to pay for the extra conversation class though at Potter's School, whereas the once a month Aim conversation class is free (and the Aim class has only 7 students which means more talking time).  So hard to make a decision!

It was a bilingual mom here (thanks Cleo) that brought to my attention this class; I wasn't even aware of it. I plan to write a review after the first semester. I love that the goal is to work towards real books like Les Miserables, etc.

Anyway, I've found a great tutor (lives in Southern France) via Skype. It costs I think about 28 EUR per session, which is supposed to be 45 min but it's more like an hour. I am happy to share how I found her if you ever see the need.

Can you please share?  PM me if you like.  Thank you!

Look, this is so funny.  I was googling AIM and French trying to find the class, and I saw this, with the same name but I am assuming something totally different??

http://aimlanguagelearning.com/

Okay now I can't find the French class at all.  All I can find is this:

http://debrabell.com/?s=french

Where do I go to find the online French class??

I really need to figure this out and pick something.  I am hesitating on the AIM class because there is not much information on the teacher.   The only info about the teacher I see is a short bit here on the class description, which really tells nothing:

http://debrabell.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/French-Course-Descriptions.pdf

From that I can't tell if the teacher has a degree in French, or if they ever lived in a French speaking country, teaching experience, etc.

In addition to the info you found in her bio, I also know that she has been teaching French with AIM for 3 years and taught French at a co-op for six years prior.  If I remember correctly, she has been speaking French since a young child (has a fluent French speaking father). There is very a helpful info video recording that Debra Bell posted to give info about Aim in which Carole Adkins discusses her French classes and her French background: 

http://debrabell.com/2014/05/want-to-know-more-about-aim-academy-check-out-this-video/

I am in a real pickle now though, as I was all set to sign up dd for her French I class when I found out a local class my daughter is taking is scheduled for the same time as French I!!!!  After all of that agonizing and a bunch of e-mailing with the instructor, I feel like I am back to square one again. :willy_nilly:  I e-mailed Carole Adkins to find out if she will be offering a second section of French I (as she did with French II), but I received the automated out of office reply so I suppose she is still out of town.   Ugh!  I really want to get my dd in a class and have this off my plate!

I really need to figure this out and pick something.  I am hesitating on the AIM class because there is not much information on the teacher.   The only info about the teacher I see is a short bit here on the class description, which really tells nothing:

http://debrabell.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/French-Course-Descriptions.pdf

From that I can't tell if the teacher has a degree in French, or if they ever lived in a French speaking country, teaching experience, etc.

Thanks for adding that.  I don't have time to watch that video right now as it is almost an hour long, but it is good to know those other details.  I am surprised that they wouldn't put more info on the website about the instructor, as it seems like they would really want to sell it as best they can that a person is qualified to teach a particular course.  It seems odd that they don't have a more complete "about" section.

Anyway, if that is the case, I would probably be willing to try it, but that is also a bad time for us too.  So, I wonder if we both wanted a second French 1 section if they would be more willing to open it up.  And maybe we could post a note here and try to get a couple more people even.  Maybe they would be more willing to open up another class.

I would really like for DS to do an interactive French class, but we just cannot do that time.  I would really prefer something in the morning one day during school hours.

Maybe we should try to contact the administrator and ask her, maybe she has another way to reach the instructor and/or knows if it is even a possibility, or knows when she will be back.

PM if you want to discuss a plan!

Thanks for adding that.  I don't have time to watch that video right now as it is almost an hour long, but it is good to know those other details.  I am surprised that they wouldn't put more info on the website about the instructor, as it seems like they would really want to sell it as best they can that a person is qualified to teach a particular course.  It seems odd that they don't have a more complete "about" section.

Anyway, if that is the case, I would probably be willing to try it, but that is also a bad time for us too.  So, I wonder if we both wanted a second French 1 section if they would be more willing to open it up.  And maybe we could post a note here and try to get a couple more people even.  Maybe they would be more willing to open up another class.

I would really like for DS to do an interactive French class, but we just cannot do that time.  I would really prefer something in the morning one day during school hours.

Maybe we should try to contact the administrator and ask her, maybe she has another way to reach the instructor and/or knows if it is even a possibility, or knows when she will be back.

PM if you want to discuss a plan!

Just sent you a PM!  Hoping we can get something to work out!

Just an FYI - to avoid listening to the entire video but still have a chance to hear Carole Adkins speak, fast forward to minute 12 and then listen through roughly minute 38.  She explains how her online class works, answers parents questions, discusses her French background, etc.  Very helpful info

http://debrabell.com/2014/05/want-to-know-more-about-aim-academy-check-out-this-video/

Just an update for anyone who is interested - the teacher is offering to open a 1:45 - 2:45 Wednesday class for French I if there are at least 3 students interested in signing up for that time slot.  Very good news for those of us needing something earlier in the day! :hurray: