Menu

Spalding Question

WahM

I have a question for the Spalding users, especially Ellie ;)

Is the Writing Road to Reading the only book you need? Are there any other materials needed to use the program? Also, what do you think of the spinoffs such as Reading Lessons Through Liturature? It's suppose to be easier to use??

Is the Writing Road to Reading the only book you need? Are there any other materials needed to use the program? Also, what do you think of the spinoffs such as Reading Lessons Through Liturature? It's suppose to be easier to use??

The only book you need is WRTR.  And you need a composition notebook and a pencil.  And the phonogram cards (you could copy the information from one of the older edition WRTR books, or you can buy them from the Spalding Foundation).  The cards are invaluable.

If you want more guidance, somewhere in cyberspace is a guide to implementing Spalding.  I can search for it if you are interested (or maybe Ellie remembers).

Also which edition is recommended? The newest 6th edition, an older one?

I hate the 6th edition.  :D  And the 5th.  I always recommend getting the 3rd (red) or 4th (blue) editions.  They are MUCH easier to understand and don't have all the educational jargon.

You need the manual (WRTR) and a set of phonogram cards. If you buy the phonogram cards, DO NOT buy them anywhere except from Spalding Education International. I don't think you can buy them for editions other than the current edition, however, so you may end up making your own. If you cut them out of the manual, you'll want to laminate them to make them sturdy.

Which brings me to the issue of cutting the manual apart. Yes, I recommend that. Take the book to Kinko's/FedEx Office and have the spine cut off, then the book drilled with three holes so it will fit in a three-ring notebook. It will lie open, and you can add dividers and your own notes and whatnot, and it won't fall apart.

I have not reviewed Reading Lessons Through Literature (although I'd love to). Millions of children have learned to read without Spalding, and so I'm sure children will learn to read with RLTL. However, I am a Spalding geek, and it is what I will almost always recommend. :-)

ETA: I was able to see the sample on Lulu. As I said, millions of children have learned to read without Spalding, and I'm sure children will learn to read with RLTL, but just from the sample I saw, I am not impressed. One thing that surprised me (and shocked me a little) was that children begin spelling words after learning just the first 26 phonograms. I don't see any advantage to that at all. o_0

The only book you need is WRTR.  And you need a composition notebook and a pencil.  And the phonogram cards (you could copy the information from one of the older edition WRTR books, or you can buy them from the Spalding Foundation).  The cards are invaluable.

If you want more guidance, somewhere in cyberspace is a guide to implementing Spalding.  I can search for it if you are interested (or maybe Ellie remembers).

I hate the 6th edition.  :D  And the 5th.  I always recommend getting the 3rd (red) or 4th (blue) editions.  They are MUCH easier to understand and don't have all the educational jargon.

Oh, yes, you MUST have the phonogram cards. :-)

There is a guide to teaching Spalding, and it isn't bad, but I won't tell people what it is until they promise they have read through the manual at least three times. :D The manual is *vital* to teaching Spalding, and not just for knowing what to do next. It is knowing *why* we do what we do that is important. And sometimes there's a comment that might not relate directly to what to do but it *zings* right into your brain and you're inspired and enlightened. :-)

Yes, I am a Spalding geek. :-)

Printable Spalding flash cards here.

http://www.husd.org/cms/lib07/AZ01001450/Centricity/Domain/2663/Spalding%20Phonogram%20Cards%20Packet.pdf

RLtL, at least what I saw awhile back, had more easy words and less hard words than Spalding. I have lost track of what the author has edited and published since I stopped using the products. I needed to use something that moved into harder words more quickly and something that was finished at that time.

I like the 4th edition of WRTR a LOT more than later editions, but it's OOP, and getting increasingly expensive to get nice copies.

I enjoy learning OG phonics, but I'm not sure it's always the best approach for all students. If mom finds it fascinating, and has the time to learn the program, and the funds to buy the materials she wants to try using, then go for it! It's not a hill worth dying on for most families though, and not all families reap the rewards they are expecting. OG is a tool that works well for the right job. Not all students and instructors are the same. Some need other tools.

Hunter, thanks for the link and your take on RLTL. Some good points you and Ellie had about the program.

It's actually the 4th edition I put on hold. They had that and the sixth edition.

:hurray:

That is the one to read first. No matter what you do later, WRTR 4th is a good read.

The 6th has some explicit instruction on how to form individual cursive letters that is nice, but is you have already taught the manuscript letters as instructed, the further explicit instruction is repetitive.