Menu

R.I.P. dear printer

Spryte

Our trusty printer died while printing stuff for the upcoming school year.  

Did you all hear the screams of frustration reverberate around the world?

Why, oh why, did it die now???

Now it's time to shop for a new one.  The last thing I wanted to do right now, because I'd much prefer to spend money on books.  But here goes...

Printer recommendations, anyone?  I prefer to use a CISS with our printers, as the savings on ink is astounding, and I do a ton of printing.  Bought the CISS for our last printer in 2010 and only had to buy replacement ink once.  So something compatible with a good CISS is key.

I had to look up CISS --- and my recommendation wouldn't fit your requirements.

BUT... I bought a Brother wireless monochrome laser printer 2 1/2 years ago. The HL-2270DW.

Now, it's old-school, lol; doesn't have a screen so a bit of a headache to deal with drivers and WiFi setup as I have to connect it to my computer.

I just replaced the toner cartridge for the second time and the $14 non-OEM ones work great. So I've printed thousands and thousands and thousands of sheets of paper for the $99 purchase price + $28 worth of toner. Hard to beat!

It's small and lightweight too. I keep an inkjet beside it for color printing, copying and scanning but the Brother laser cranks out most all of our printing.

(There's a Brother HL-2280DW that is a monochrome laser print but it does b&w copying and color scanning. If/when this one dies, I'll probably get that one instead and do away with the inkjet altogether.)

Thanks!

CISS - Continuous Ink Supply System.  It's a device you put outside of you printer, that supplies ink.  I learned about them at a homeschooling conference, and this little nugget of info is the best homeschooling advice I've ever received at a conference!  No more buying cartridges.  They can be a pain to install, and they will void the warranty on the printer.  But the savings in ink is out of this world. Highly recommend them for people who print a lot.  

We have a very "low end" Epson ink jet printer. It has WiFi, but we don't use it on WiFi. It's connected to DD's Desktop PC.  The place where I go to get photocopies made and send faxes (well, now I know about FaxZero.com and I send faxes to the USA free with them), and other things has a high end Epson printer. Obviously, they print out a LOT of stuff. They have one of those CISS things on the side of the printer. He told me it does save a lot of $.  We don't print that many pages and our printer is still in warranty, but when the warranty runs out, I will look into getting a CISS unit for it.  Bottom line is we are very happy with our Epson (it scans too and does a very nice job of that) and the fact that that place where I go to have photos printed, etc., has an Epson caught my attention, so I suggest you consider an Epson, but look at all of the others too. The price of the cartridges is what gets you, if you do a lot of printing. 

Other brands  are probably good too. I am still sad for the death of our HP 6L LaserJet, which printed several thousand (black and white) pages, before needing an expensive cartridge replacement. Our printer is approximately 14 months old  and it has been trouble free, but as I wrote, we don't print out a lot of pages).  We also had 2 Epson ink jets, I think the C82 model, years ago, that were very nice and they worked on Linux too. They were very solid printers.

Lanny, I understand that Epson is a good brand with which to use a CISS.  We were using an HP C7250, which obviously worked well. We're looking at the HP 8600 now, only because it's significantly on sale today and because I hope to use our leftover CISS ink in it.  :)  

A laser printer would be nice, though I do like color.  (It's the printer nerd in me!)