Menu

Homeschooling Topics

LisaKinVA

I'm the NCHA "mom's night" coordinator.  What this means, is I put together our monthly program/event.

Our first event is an open event (So you think you want to homeschool) kind of thing.

The first official "mom's night" is a meet and greet/annual calendar finalization event (getting volunteers to head up special events for the kids...science fair, history fair, World Heritage Fair, Christmas Party, Valentine's Party, Field Day, Presidential Fitness...these kinds of things)

I am planning some Curricula Discussion Nights (Math, History, English/Literature, Science, Writing), Homeschooling the Middle & High School Years...maybe we can get SWB and other providers to skype in as special guests (haha).

I will be polling our group specifically -- but I also wanted to ask here, what topics -- as a homeschooling mom -- would you like to see covered.  We don't have conventions, and I want to stay away from lifestyle/political topics.  While this is a Christian group, it is very diverse (Mormon, Catholic, Reformed, Baptist, Orthodox...)

We have 10 meetings a year.  The first and the last are mostly business & social, 2 others are "mom's night outs" -- mostly social, so that leaves 6 meetings total.

Thanks for your input!

Socialization for Homeschoolers.

Really.

Many moms, especially new ones either are really concerned about it, or think that their kids will not need it at all. As a homeschooler, it needs to be on the radar but given a proper balance. Much of this is personality style, introverted kids need less than extroverted ones, but they still need some friends. Especially as kids reach middle school, and high school it gets harder to find good friends. An experienced mom, especially of high schoolers would be good to discuss this issue. Additionally, dads who are on the fence about homeschooling because of this issue will feel better if mom has a plan for it.

Creating and Articulating Goals.

What goals do you and your partner have for your children when they're done with their K-12 education? How do your curricula, extra curriculars, life skill activities and enrichment activities help you meet those goals? How does the content (which differs between different homeschooling approaches) of each of your subjects meet your goals? 

Goals don't all have to be decided yesterday.  They don't have to be set in stone.  They can evolve and change.  But not having any articulated goals at all can create tension and ambivalence for some people. Goals are the destination on a map.  Once you decide on one, the routes to it can become clearer and you can focus in on which you'd rather take.

People who haven't done much thinking about their goals will often have much more anxiety and confusion when it's time choose a curriculum. For example, a Classical Homeschooler and a Traditional School at Home Homeschooler will choose different curriculum with different content because of their different goals. A Circe Institute type Classical Homeschooler will have goals based on the pursuit of truth, beauty and goodness, where as a Trivium Classical Homeschooler will have goals based on the 3 stages of The Trivium. What they study and how they study it will be different. Homeschoolers who want their children to be able to apply to selective colleges and take SAT, PAST, ACT type tests will have goals related to content and specific skill sets by the time a child is a certain age. A parent for whom this isn't a goal will spend their time differently.

Goals can be short term, mid term and long term. Goals can be daily, weekly, monthly per semester, per year, early elementary,late elementary, Jr. High, High school, etc.  If you have clear goals it's easier to decide what's essential and what's extra.  People with clear goals are usually more confident about dropping things in the schedule/routine/lesson plan because they're usually more aware of which things are more essential to  them meet their goals. People who aren't very clear on that can be frustrated by having to skip something at all or by having to choose what to skip.

I think it's good to stress that there are different styles of homeschooling.  Maybe have a mom from each type give a little general blurb about "a day in the life of a classical/unschooler/Charlotte Mason/etc.  homeschooler.

This is our August 5th meeting -- So You Think You Want to Homeschool...4-5 panelists, each presenting a style of homeschooling (I'm looking for someone to represent Unit Studies and Unschooling, but I have classical, Montessori, Charlotte Mason, Literature Based (which I know leans classical), and Eclectic/All-in-One representatives.  We'll also be doing "a day in the life" and include visual samples of how we organize/structure our days/projects/lessons, etc.  :D

Socialization for Homeschoolers.

Really.

Many moms, especially new ones either are really concerned about it, or think that their kids will not need it at all. As a homeschooler, it needs to be on the radar but given a proper balance. Much of this is personality style, introverted kids need less than extroverted ones, but they still need some friends. Especially as kids reach middle school, and high school it gets harder to find good friends. An experienced mom, especially of high schoolers would be good to discuss this issue. Additionally, dads who are on the fence about homeschooling because of this issue will feel better if mom has a plan for it.

Good thoughts -- I think we can include that in the August 5th portion as well (since this is geared to mostly new homeschoolers, and those thinking about homeschooling.

Creating and Articulating Goals.

What goals do you and your partner have for your children when they're done with their K-12 education? How do your curricula, extra curriculars, life skill activities and enrichment activities help you meet those goals? How does the content (which differs between different homeschooling approaches) of each of your subjects meet your goals? 

Goals don't all have to be decided yesterday.  They don't have to be set in stone.  They can evolve and change.  But not having any articulated goals at all can create tension and ambivalence for some people. Goals are the destination on a map.  Once you decide on one, the routes to it can become clearer and you can focus in on which you'd rather take.

People who haven't done much thinking about their goals will often have much more anxiety and confusion when it's time choose a curriculum. For example, a Classical Homeschooler and a Traditional School at Home Homeschooler will choose different curriculum with different content because of their different goals. A Circe Institute type Classical Homeschooler will have goals based on the pursuit of truth, beauty and goodness, where as a Trivium Classical Homeschooler will have goals based on the 3 stages of The Trivium. What they study and how they study it will be different. Homeschoolers who want their children to be able to apply to selective colleges and take SAT, PAST, ACT type tests will have goals related to content and specific skill sets by the time a child is a certain age. A parent for whom this isn't a goal will spend their time differently.

Goals can be short term, mid term and long term. Goals can be daily, weekly, monthly per semester, per year, early elementary,late elementary, Jr. High, High school, etc.  If you have clear goals it's easier to decide what's essential and what's extra.  People with clear goals are usually more confident about dropping things in the schedule/routine/lesson plan because they're usually more aware of which things are more essential to  them meet their goals. People who aren't very clear on that can be frustrated by having to skip something at all or by having to choose what to skip.

Awesome...would you like to SKYPE in and present it for me ;)  

This is our August 5th meeting -- So You Think You Want to Homeschool...4-5 panelists, each presenting a style of homeschooling (I'm looking for someone to represent Unit Studies and Unschooling, but I have classical, Montessori, Charlotte Mason, Literature Based (which I know leans classical), and Eclectic/All-in-One representatives.  We'll also be doing "a day in the life" and include visual samples of how we organize/structure our days/projects/lessons, etc.   :D

Good thoughts -- I think we can include that in the August 5th portion as well (since this is geared to mostly new homeschoolers, and those thinking about homeschooling.

Awesome...would you like to SKYPE in and present it for me ;)

I would seriously consider it if you can't fill all the spots you have available.

Maybe a Book Fondling: invite people to bring what they're using so that others can flip through it. I think one of the biggest things people say about choosing curricula is, "I just wish I could get my hands on a copy of it for a few minutes first!"

Maybe a Book Fondling: invite people to bring what they're using so that others can flip through it. I think one of the biggest things people say about choosing curricula is, "I just wish I could get my hands on a copy of it for a few minutes first!"

For some odd reason, I like that word...book fondling. ;p