Menu

Spielvogel Western civilization focus questions

I have paperback study guides for Spielvogel that I've picked up at used bookstores or library sales.

One is Third Edition for Volume II: Since 1715.  The other is for Seventh Edition Volume I.  Volume I and Volume II tend to overlap, with I ending around Galileo and the other starting with Late Middle Ages. 

There is some difference between the books in how chapters are numbered.  That could be a change from one edition to another.  (IE, in one book Late Middle Ages is labeled chapter 11 and in the other it is chapter 12.)

Study guide entry for Late Middle Ages starts with a chapter outline.  They are not identical from edition to edition, but are very similar. 

Next section is a Chapter Summary.  The chapter summary is word for word the same between the two editions I have.

Third edition study guide has the following sections:

Identify - lists of terms with space to write definitions.  20 items for this chapter

Match - 10 terms, people or events to match with 10 definitions

20 Multiple Choice questions

10 fill in the blank completion sentences.  Most sentences have several blanks.

7 items to put into chronological order and assign dates to

11 questions for critical thought.  Example "Discuss the causes of the Black Death and its effects on late medieval society, particularly the economic dislocation and social upheaval that followed it."

Analysis of Primary Source Documents: 6 questions.  I think these would refer to the items included in the chapter as primary source examples.

Outline map of Western Europe with 24 items to label

Answers in the back include matching, multiple choice, completion and chronology.  The answer section is perforated so it could be removed.

The 7th edition book has the following after the chapter summary:

Learning Objectives.  5 items.  Example: "Be able to explain the causes and both the short and long term effects on European religion and society of the Black Death."  [Compare to Questions for Critical Thought above.]

Glossary of Names and Terms  10 terms, people and places, but the definition is already given.  (I'm less fond of this.)

Matching 10 items, which appear to be the same 10

20 Multiple Choice

10 Completion sentences.  Look like similar sentences, but there is less space to write in the actual blanks in this book. 

Chronology  Same 7 items

8 Questions for Critical Thought.  There are fewer questions here.  All are either the same or are very similar to the Third edition.  There were three more questions in the Third edition.

8 Analysis of Primary Source Documents questions.  One more than Third edition.  Questions reflect some changes in the primary source documents from edition to edition.  But most seemed rather flexible.  One question was omitted in the Seventh edition that I thought was an odd and subjective question. 

Seventh edition study guide had no map section.

The back of the seventh edition had answers to matching, multiple choice, completion and chronology.

In general, I've seen little difference between old and new editions of Spielvogel.  I consider them pretty fungible and will mix and match across editions.  The only problem I can anticipate would be if you mixed editions in such a way that you missed a chapter.  (For example, on book ended in 1500 and the next one started in 1715.)  Also if you had a study guide for the full version, but were using a brief edition.  (I'm not sure what is abridged in the brief editions.)

Both study guides I have are written by James T. Baker.  There are used study guides for the 6th edition for under $15 on Amazon. 

ISBNs for what I have:

Seventh edition volume I  0495566551 

Third edition volume 2  0314200711

Quick Amazon searching isn't turning up a study guide for the 8th edition.  The span between 7th and 8thedition (2008 to 2011) may correspond with Cengage putting the study materials online.  This lets them charge a license fee and does away with the used book market.

I wouldn't personally hesitate to use an older edition study guide.

I called the company and they told me the following:

1. I can buy an Instructor's Edition for $231.

2. I can fill out a form to be approved access to their on-line instructor's materials for no cost.  I am doing that, but processing will take a week or so.  They don't know what material is available on-line.

3. The most recent study guide is the 6th edition and they don't have any information about how well it follows the 8th edition.  (Luckily, Sebastian has all that information- thanks!)  

I called the company and they told me the following:

1. I can buy an Instructor's Edition for $231.

2. I can fill out a form to be approved access to their on-line instructor's materials for no cost.  I am doing that, but processing will take a week or so.  They don't know what material is available on-line.

3. The most recent study guide is the 6th edition and they don't have any information about how well it follows the 8th edition.  (Luckily, Sebastian has all that information- thanks!)  

The top result I'm seeing sold new on Amazon is the 6th edition.  But there is the 7th edition study guide too.

Volume I's ISBN is 0495566551

I also found Volume II:  ISBN  049556656X 

For some reason, I couldn't find Volume II on Amazon using search terms other than the ISBN.  But there are used copies available under $20. 

What this won't get you is any kind of guidance for the critical thinking questions or essay prompts.  But I'm not sure that those are in the instructor guide.  Might be worth submitting the homeschool form to find out.

The top result I'm seeing sold new on Amazon is the 6th edition.  But there is the 7th edition study guide too.

Volume I's ISBN is 0495566551

I also found Volume II:  ISBN  049556656X 

For some reason, I couldn't find Volume II on Amazon using search terms other than the ISBN.  But there are used copies available under $20. 

What this won't get you is any kind of guidance for the critical thinking questions or essay prompts.  But I'm not sure that those are in the instructor guide.  Might be worth submitting the homeschool form to find out.

The online materials don't include any answers.  I do think the list of internet and video resources is wonderful and many of the videos are on youtube.

It has been well worth the effort it takes to register for access.