Menu

Can someone talk to me about Social Security Disability income for kids?

kbpaulie

Can you PM me on this, please if you have experience and know the answer.  We know someone that has an infant daughter w/ heart condition.  On Medicaid, WIC and probably other gov't assistance.  Mom wants to apply for SSI so she can stay home w/ kids and not work.  Any ideas of about how much SSI is?   No personal opinions, please, I have mine.  :)  Just wondering about how much SSI is, ballpark.

Thanks

I had a friend (similar situation WIC & medicaid, but no other assistance) whose daughter was born missing part of her brain (so permanent disability in a wheelchair once she outgrew the stroller, blind, deaf, etc, actually with her condition she may not live past 10-12) and she did not tell me the exact $ amount, but it was just enough to cover special nutrition drinks(ins covered some, but not all), larger size diapers (not covered by ins till a later age, 6? or 7? maybe), and gas for therapy appointments. So I doubt one could support a family on it iykwim.

Sorry I couldn't figure out PM on my phone at the moment. Per ssa.gov it's about $720 per month. Another program you or she may or may not know about is a personal assistance program, getting paid to take care of a disabled family member. This is usually through state Medicaid departments and I don't know if it can be combined with other programs.

I had a friend (similar situation WIC & medicaid, but no other assistance) whose daughter was born missing part of her brain (so permanent disability in a wheelchair once she outgrew the stroller, blind, deaf, etc, actually with her condition she may not live past 10-12) and she did not tell me the exact $ amount, but it was just enough to cover special nutrition drinks(ins covered some, but not all), larger size diapers (not covered by ins till a later age, 6? or 7? maybe), and gas for therapy appointments. So I doubt one could support a family on it iykwim.

How absolutely sad!!!!

Sorry I couldn't figure out PM on my phone at the moment. Per ssa.gov it's about $720 per month. Another program you or she may or may not know about is a personal assistance program, getting paid to take care of a disabled family member. This is usually through state Medicaid departments and I don't know if it can be combined with other programs.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking plus I think some states have almost similar amount they add.  So I was thinking about $1400/mo, which to me is not enough, but if you're currently making your living at a fast food place.... you might be coming out ahead....

Might be more money in another Medicaid waiver, but it depends on the state. Here in Illinois my now adult son with autism gets the $721 from ssi....and just this week was selected to get an additional $2,150ish per month via a Medicaid waiver (only because both his folks got multiple traumas from our car crash in late May. That bumped. Joe to the top of the list of folks needing the waiver. Illinois doesn't have enough $ to give the extra money to the many other disabled folks who also need it). What state Is she in?

How absolutely sad!!!!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking plus I think some states have almost similar amount they add.  So I was thinking about $1400/mo, which to me is not enough, but if you're currently making your living at a fast food place.... you might be coming out ahead....

As far as I know, CA has the highest SSI payments and it is around $950 (federal amount and state amount combined).  I have a family member whose child was on SSI and this is info from them.  I know states can add additional funds, but I do not think they add much!

GL to your friend.  They would probably have to look into housing assistance as well--section 8 or other programs.