Menu

Getting in the school mode

Guest lizzyd

Guest lizzyd

How do you prep your 5/6 year olds for the transition to school work? My son has a late summer birthday and last year we did a very relaxed kindergarten year - lots of memory work, reading, and some writing. Lots of playing and cooking. As a result he's somewhere between K and 1st grade and ready to make the leap to some structured school time with sit-down work. I am wondering how to prepare him for this so that I don't bulldoze him in my enthusiasm. He will still have PLENTY of playtime etc, but I want most of our mornings to be school-ish.

Any tips? Thanks!

We're easing into this summer. We're doing phonics, handwriting, and sometimes math every evening this summer. Hopefully by this fall, we'll have eased into the expectation of at least 2 hours of formal school work daily (not counting fun read alouds).

For mine to really sink into it, we have to walk to school....  There's a special song I hum on our "walk" to school, on the way we do 2 small outdoor chores, we get in the room again, take off boots, sometimes I do a little movement exercise, and he's all set.  Now he's not even quite 5, so sometimes it's just for 15 minutes... but he's always really ready for it.  

A few times I'd accidentally do a similar routine, and we'd end up in that room just by happenstance, and he'd ask to do school at his desk.. 

:)

My six year old is still not doing a long set of sit down work - we just do one subject and have a break - which means playing outside or running around and then switch to the next subject. I just gradually increased the amounts of time she had to come and do something. Only recently have we started doing more than one activity before leaving the table and school is taking less time now because of it, but I had to work up to that. You could always gradually increase his activities - he must have been sitting for the writing so just gradually extend that if that is what works for him - some children cope fine with a sudden change in expectations if you talk to them about it and tell them what you expect.