Menu

Need ideas for potential Biology Boot Camp

The past school year, my DS studied Biology in a co-op and really enjoyed the experience even though he does not enjoy studying science - any science.  He did okay on the tests (they used Apologia Biology) and the labs however, he retained almost nothing from the course.  We homeschool year round so when we recently pulled out his coursework for review, my DH and I were shocked at how little he knew.  He is supposed to take Chemistry this fall through VPSA and I'm worried that he won't be adequately prepared.  We have some time...I've been thinking about creating a Biology Boot Camp but I'm not sure where to begin or if it's even a good idea.  Covering a year of Biology in 6 weeks is a daunting task.  Has anyone done something similar, or have some ideas/suggestions?

Thanks for your help! 

Thanks Jen and freesia for your feedback!

I'm not so worried about him achieving a level of competency in Biology to help with Chemistry - I just don't think it's doing him any favors to let him advance to a new course in science while lacking in proficiency in his former course.  I didn't state that clearly in my post.

He is supposed to take Chemistry this fall through VPSA and I'm worried that he won't be adequately prepared.

This quote is why I thought you thought he needed to understand the bio before taking the chem.

It is likely that he doesn't remember the bio because he wasn't interested in it or he doesn't have strong study skills. Cramming a whole year of bio into 6 weeks is unlikely to lead to more retention. Since it is important to you that he have retention in bio I would choose 6 or so of the modules that either he is most interested in or you think are most important (cells and genetics come to my mind first). Then have him review these chapters, perhaps taking notes (and learning to take notes from a text if he doesn't know how). Have him watch videos on youtube to supplement. Ellen McHenry has a playlist of cell videos on youtube that are just wonderful. Bozeman Science has videos that I'm planning to use next year.

Then you could have him write one paper a week on the topic he's studies--a summary, an arguement (pro or against stem cell research, etc.)