Menu

Good math topics for multi-age group?

I'm trying to pull together a math club for this year, and it looks like I'm going to have a group with a couple of kids working at a middle/secondary level (Pre-algebra and higher) and the rest pretty young and mostly at the 3rd grade level and below. I'm thinking that maybe the older kids could present a topic/activity that's outside the math sequence, and then break off into separate groups and explore at an appropriate level.

DD has some topics that she wants to do that I'm not sure if they'll work with that wide a skill range (number theory, topology, combinatorics, fractals). Does anyone have any suggestions?

off the top of my head:

Pascal's triangle  (littles can make suncatchers while big kids look at patterns)

probability and craps (littles can play dice games and big kids can try to make a set of craps dice that don't lose, with no two adjoining faces the same)

Egyptian / Russian peasant math and lattice multiplication

triangle numbers

function machine

Fibonacci and Golden Mean

angle chasing

my favorite books to inspire ideas for a mixed-age math group:

Historical Connections in Mathematics, but out by LHS

Math: A Human Endeavor

historical curriculum from Living Math

Check into Moebiusnoodles - their book has activities with differentiation for age. Blog has other great stuff.

Mathcircles.org has links for books (we have one for 5-7th graders roughly, by Anna Borego) with activities and topics all ready laid out.

Really, most topics can be adapted across this spread, some more easily:

Symmetry

Prime and composite numbers

Knights and Knaves problems

Infinity

Problem solving strategies

Basic graph theory

Basic topology

All those great recreational mathematics (matchstick puzzles, logic puzzles, etc)

I really like the examples above, but if you want more structure...

Number theory will work well for any child with basic arithmetic skills.  Elementary through high school can all participate, albeit at different speeds / capacities.

DS7 particularly enjoyed doing math in alternate systems, such as ancient Greek, Egyptian, Chinese, and Mayan.  :)

We used an out-of-print book, but there are a lot of readily available materials out there.