Menu

NCAA and ACT score

Do you think the NCAA is more lenient when looking over the core course worksheets if the student has a higher ACT score? I am going to turn in the best CCW I can, but was wondering if you think that score has any bearing?

My impression is that

-a high SAT or ACT score isn't going to make them waive any of their requirements

but

- they may not scrutinize the worksheets as much if there is evidence that strong high school academic work was completed

and

-like many parts of the college application maze, you can give them ample evidence on which to base approval

I think it also helps if a student is not playing a money sport like football or basketball, or is being cleared for play, but not offered a scholarship.

But that is all just my opinion, and we haven't gone through the process ourselves.  There doesn't seem to be a clear cut exemption by exam route.

I imagine that 30+ on the ACT will draw less scrutiny to the CCWs.  I imagine if the student has a decent ACT/SAT score and a few CC (or other outside verification) classes, that they will be waved on through.  I suspect football and basketball players may come under some extra scrutiny.

Honestly, for my Geometry CCW, all I did was copy down the chapters in the text we were using.  For Physics, there was no text, but I copied down the chapters Derek Owens lists on his website.  With 20/20 hindsight, I might have attached his syllabus.  I imagine someone looked at the CCWs because they list the classes they used for approval and one class (Exercise Physiology & Sports Medicine) never showed up.  Ds had plenty of science without it.

Of course, I have no idea what actually goes on at the NCAA homeschool dept.   :closedeyes: 

HTH!

I'm confident in what we've done & I know we've done it well. I just never thought I'd have to have approval from an organization further down the road. I'm almost glad I didn't know before we started high school...I may have scared enough to just send her to school. High school has been the biggest blessing in our homeschool, so I'm glad I was a bit clueless. :)

Here's my experience this past spring, my son's senior year. I submitted his Core Course Worksheets in the spring of his Junior year. His ACT score is excellent and earned him generous merit scholarships at all the school recruiting him.  March of senior year we had 2 of his CCW rejected from NCAA.  I listened to their complaints about the CCW (I hadn't listed in detail what DS had done each week and a few other minor items). No, problem, I corrected these worksheets and resubmitted them.

A couple days later we received notice from NCAA that DS was a Final Qualifier and all his academic requirements were met. I went into his record and spotted that while they had approved him they only had 3 rather than 4 English courses listed as Core Courses. I called and was told, 'We aren't worried about him, what with his ACT score and his CC classes, he's just fine.'  On the one hand they were quite picky about his CCW but they weren't picky on checking off that DS has 4 English courses as required for a Division 1 school.  Oh geez, and I just checked and now it is listing "Core English is less than the required 4 units for Div 1."   Time to make a phone call!

Oh geez, and I just checked and now it is listing "Core English is less than the required 4 units for Div 1."   Time to make a phone call!

Pam at NCAA Homeschool said that they really look at the Core Course Worksheet through the 11th grade, and DS is really a Final Qualifier and Early Academic Qualifier.  Since they have received his Final Transcript I do not need to send them anything." :hurray:

FYI --- NCAA did stress me this past year, completing Core Course Worksheets, waiting and waiting and waiting for them to be reviewed. The vast majority of the times I called NCAA (make sure it is the homeschool line) were positive experiences.

We have to list in detail what is done EACH WEEK?  :svengo: Just shoot me now! :svengo:

Oh goodness, I missed that too. 

ETA: I just went and looked at the worksheet to see if they'd changed.  I'm not seeing where you need to give details of each and every week.  I see course goals and outline.  The examples they give are pretty broad.

Blue Hen, Did you mean that you needed to describe what was part of the course for a typical week, or were they asking for some kind of actual weekly syllabus? 

Or am I missing a newer worksheet.  (I wish they'd put effective date codes at the bottom of their forms so I could keep up.)

For Geometry, I copied down the chapters in the textbook. That was it.

For Physics, I copied down the chapters off Derek Owen's website. No textbook. That was it.

That is pretty much what I did. Def not anything about weekly assignments. That is not a section on the worksheet. How the heck would it all fit? Lol

Georgia