Menu

Looking for work/a career near Portland, OR, Santa Maria, CA or Helena, MT?

milovany

Colleges in these three locations are hiring speech-to-text transcribers (what I do) and it looks like they will pay for your training which is a great deal. Note for future reference: After you work for the college for the required amount of time (with the college I trained at, it was a one-year commitment), you can then try to start working remote from home. I now work 30-35 hours a week from home, with a schedule that works great with homeschooling and at a pay higher than what the college is paying for onsite work. Working onsite is great, too, if it works with your schedule! And some schools pay their onsite transcribers at a comparable rate. I do miss the face-to-face interaction with students. 

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have via PM.

Santa Maria, CA info: http://www.postjobfree.com/n/ijsaoph/885501fde6ca48c4a6130c3c9c138c65

Helena, MT info: http://www.postjobfree.com/n/ijsaoph/de1383cce35340d99e382c2d2d80662d
Portland, OR info:  PM me and I'll get you contact info.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to be of service!  By the way, I should mention with these posts -- I make NO money from finding folks.  I just love my work and it works SO well with homeschooling.  The pay is pretty good, too.  I supported our family (frugally) on just my income one year when it was necessary. 

• 1 month later...

Happy to be of service! By the way, I should mention with these posts -- I make NO money from finding folks. I just love my work and it works SO well with homeschooling. The pay is pretty good, too. I supported our family (frugally) on just my income one year when it was necessary.

You're a doll!

I've looked in my area and most colleges use other students as note takers.

You're a doll!

I've looked in my area and most colleges use other students as note takers.

That's a really poor option for hard of hearing and deaf students. It does not give a HOH student true "communication access" in a classroom.  If you have any oomph/entrepreneurial blood, you could try and meet with the disability services office and tell them about speech-to-text services. Tell them it's like sign language providing immediate communication access, but with text that a student reads instead of signs that they may not know. It's usually less expensive for them to provide than sign language-- which most students I transcribe for don't even know.  I'd even do a free demo for you/them!  They may be willing to give it a shot, pay for your training and then hire you for services if they need it. They would have to work with TypeWell to become a provider, but they're happy to help schools get started with using TypeWell transcription. 

I'm a TypeWell transcriber as well, working at a college. This college provides student notetakers to students with learning disabilities such as ADHD. Like milovany said, that's not enough for communication access for the deaf and hard of hearing, so the college provides sign language interpreters or TypeWell for them.