Menu

Please explain this to me

Night Elf

on twitter and fb, click on them and will open a new tab or new page and you can see everything that was hash tagged with that word or phrase.  I'm assuming on websites that support hash tagging that they are hyperlinks

I never realized these were so hard to explain until now. They are a bit odd. But basically you tag something relevant to the post, and it becomes a link and shows up on that tag. If I were going to post a picture of myself I could tag it as #me and anyone who searched the tag #me could find it. On some blogging websites you can search people's blogs for a tag, so someone could go to my tagged/me and see all the posts tagged with that.

It started on twitter. You can click the hashtag and it's searchable within twitter. Same with Instagram. It would only be clickable/searchable if the outlet supports that. They can be useful or sometimes people use them stylistically (not quite the right word...). Useful if you're posting about something specific and want to link to other people posting about the same thing. Right now there are probably a gazillion posts about the World Cup. Useful tags would be things like #worldcup #usavsgermany and stylistic tags might be #soccersucks #goooooooooal

One of my FB friends always uses hashtags to gush about her DH. #blessed #besthubbyever #spoiled #anotherdozenroses #hottie etc etc etc... and I'm always tempted to reply #gagme ;)

This Jimmy Fallon sketch is funny: http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/segments/1101

Here's an example of what a popular hashtag yields:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/colorfulfood

People also use hashtags ironically and statistically. #trendy

And marketers have started advertising specific hashtags in hopes of starting a viral conversation about their product. They usually need to be shorter than a whole product name or event because Twitter is limited to 140 characters . #WorldCup vs. 2014 Fédération Internationale de Football Association World Cup