Menu

Want to help me narrow down my 2nd/3rd grade read aloud list please?

To be honest, the part that bothered me the most (it's now been a year, so my memory is vague) is there seemed to be quite a graphic image of torture in one of the first few chapters- I can't remember the details, but someone being left in the dungeons without any light at all for a long time...  It wasn't "graphic" in the Steven King sense, it just seemed incredibly spooky and horrific to me.  I wish I could remember the details or find my copy of Desperaux now... 

ETA- just to add, I have read and enjoy Steven King (not so much any more, but in my wild youth...lol).  My problem with this torture reference/scene (I hope I am remembering) was that the book's audience was kids, and it was right after the movie had come out, which meant relatively young kids.  I don't even want my kids to know that such horrible things exist yet! 

That's the whole plot! The main theme of the book is the contrast between the dark of the dungeon versus the light of the palace above and one rat's desire  for that light, and one mouse's vow to protect the light (the Princess Pea character) that he loves and was ostracized for loving.

I found that my kid's were able to make the jump to the underlying metaphor rather than take it literally. 

But yes, it can be a spooky book. One that should likely be pre read first.

That's the whole plot! The main theme of the book is the contrast between the dark of the dungeon versus the light of the palace above and one rat's desire  for that light, and one mouse's vow to protect the light (the Princess Pea character) that he loves and was ostracized for loving.

I found that my kid's were able to make the jump to the underlying metaphor rather than take it literally. 

But yes, it can be a spooky book. One that should likely be pre read first.

Ha!  Ok, I will try to get through it on my own to see where it goes! 

Storygirl, thanks for your great post.  You made some great suggestions.

So Indian in the Cupboard was your son's favorite read aloud?  Interesting that there seems to be such a wide reaction to this book in particular!  Maybe we'll have to give it a try for ourselves and just see . . .

Keep in mind that my ten-year-old son has ADHD and doesn't read much on his own (he will look at books but rarely read them). We have always read aloud, so he has heard too many chapter books to count. He often sits and squirms and doesn't pay attention and asks to leave the room to go to the bathroom, etc. In contrast, he begged for more Indian in the Cupboard and demanded the sequel for the next readaloud. This was so unusual that we complied but then said that he could read the books that come after on his own. Of course he has not.

His other favorite readaloud is the Harry Potter series.

My son has read some of those on his own and we have the audio book of others. At age 8 he loved Paddington read by Stephen Fry. The audio version is so good that my son isn't really interested in the books that aren't on audio. He listened to the audio book at least a dozen times.

It's not on your list but he also loved 101 Dalmatians as an audio book. He listened to that one repeatedly. Trumpet of the Swan read by the author is incredible. We just listened to it in the car again yesterday.

He liked Indian in the Cupboard a lot and re read it today. He wore out his copy of the book. He has read Half Magic numerous times. Homer Price is well loved.

Some other books not on your list that he really enjoyed are the Moomintroll series, Castle in the Attic, and The Giant and the Joneses.

The kids didn't love James Herriot. I think it's great and may try it again. All-of-a-kind Family and Mary Poppins were not popular. Nurse Matilda could be a substitute. They liked that a lot better. I couldn't get the kids interested in Cricket in Times Square but I'm going to try again.

We haven't read any of the others on your list.

My kids all thought A Cricket in Times Square was painfully boring.

Two liked Indian in the Cupboard and one didn't care.

One liked A Little Princess, one didn't.  The third hasn't heard/read it yet.

All of them liked Depereaux.

All-Of-A-Kind Family was a hit with the older two, haven't gotten to it with the third.

Paddington didn't go over well with the older two.

I think it's really important to cover very different genres, themes and styles. Not every kid is going to like every classic and/or popular kid's book out there.

My son has read some of those on his own and we have the audio book of others. At age 8 he loved Paddington read by Stephen Fry. The audio version is so good that my son isn't really interested in the books that aren't on audio. He listened to the audio book at least a dozen times.

It's not on your list but he also loved 101 Dalmatians as an audio book. He listened to that one repeatedly. Trumpet of the Swan read by the author is incredible. We just listened to it in the car again yesterday.

He liked Indian in the Cupboard a lot and re read it today. He wore out his copy of the book. He has read Half Magic numerous times. Homer Price is well loved.

Some other books not on your list that he really enjoyed are the Moomintroll series, Castle in the Attic, and The Giant and the Joneses.

The kids didn't love James Herriot. I think it's great and may try it again. All-of-a-kind Family and Mary Poppins were not popular. Nurse Matilda could be a substitute. They liked that a lot better. I couldn't get the kids interested in Cricket in Times Square but I'm going to try again.

We haven't read any of the others on your list.

Lots of great suggestions ... thanks!  I especially like the idea of Nurse Matilda.

Already received the Stephen Fry version of Paddington that I ordered.  Good to know several people have recommended it!

My kids all thought A Cricket in Times Square was painfully boring.

Two liked Indian in the Cupboard and one didn't care.

One liked A Little Princess, one didn't.  The third hasn't heard/read it yet.

All of them liked Depereaux.

All-Of-A-Kind Family was a hit with the older two, haven't gotten to it with the third.

Paddington didn't go over well with the older two.

I think it's really important to cover very different genres, themes and styles. Not every kid is going to like every classic and/or popular kid's book out there.

I agree with you!  Sometimes kids are unpredictable as to what they like and don't like.  I know every once in a while I try to read them a "classic" and I'm just left scratching my head, unable to appreciate it half as much as I thought I would.

I agree with you!  Sometimes kids are unpredictable as to what they like and don't like.  I know every once in a while I try to read them a "classic" and I'm just left scratching my head, unable to appreciate it half as much as I thought I would.

And there are many books that are wonderful for silent reading but that do not work as well as readalouds, for any number of reasons.