Menu

suggestions for having fun with geometry? (x-post)

DS11 is a hands-on, VSL, kinesthetic student for whom geometry is a particular strength, so I am interested in whatever is out there to help make geometry come alive. This is a kid who likes to read architecture books and designs houses on his own, went from 0-60 in origami when he recently took it up, is experienced with woodworking, etc. Geometry presents a real opportunity for more than strictly paper and pencil work. He most enjoys math when it is multidimensional, and he thrives on hard problems and practical application of whatever he is learning. I want something to knock his socks off. Fun, interesting, related to life and other disciplines…

I have Patty Paper Geometry and Picciotto's Geometry Labs, but I would love to hear what has worked well for others. I would also like some kind of Big Project and/or a variety of smaller projects.

The one big thing I have planned so far is creating compass drawings to design and build lanterns, my favorite memory from 6th grade. 

I have some ideas floating around in my head…

kite making?

quilt design and construction? (I quilt and have a stash.)

increasingly complex origami? (I have wish-listed a dozen books for him, but would love specific recommendations.)

increasingly complex architecture resources? (ditto)

Zometool Geometry (He’s had the big set for years, and I bought the book, but I’ve done nothing with it.)

I have Designing Playgrounds and A Blueprint for Geometry.

I’m interested in anything you’ve got! 

We used Designing Playgrounds to jump off and really do a bunch of stuff with it.  Our models were really cool.  I need to post them on my blog but I haven't gotten around to it.

We're reading Savage Shapes right now (Murderous Maths) and it has way more hands on things to do than any of the others, so we keep doing those.  They've been fun.

We also did a tessellation project and that was really fun.  If you look up videos for how to make tessellations, you can find some different methods.

Next, we're going to do Time Travel Math from Prufrock Press - it's all about geometry and I'm excited.  It might be slightly young for 11 yo, but maybe not.  I like that there's a story and it seems good.

And we made hexaflexagons.  Everyone should make hexaflexagons.  Always.  And do origami.

I look forward to seeing the other suggestions.

OH!  And if you haven't played through Dragonbox Elements yet, it's awesome.  At first, I thought, this is really simple compared to the algebra one, but now I'm sold on it.  We have referred back to it a million times for conceptual understanding already.

Really? Everyone's not dying to discuss this?

My feelings exactly! LOL

We used Designing Playgrounds to jump off and really do a bunch of stuff with it. Our models were really cool. I need to post them on my blog but I haven't gotten around to it.

We're reading Savage Shapes right now (Murderous Maths) and it has way more hands on things to do than any of the others, so we keep doing those. They've been fun.

We also did a tessellation project and that was really fun. If you look up videos for how to make tessellations, you can find some different methods.

Next, we're going to do Time Travel Math from Prufrock Press - it's all about geometry and I'm excited. It might be slightly young for 11 yo, but maybe not. I like that there's a story and it seems good.

And we made hexaflexagons. Everyone should make hexaflexagons. Always. And do origami.

I look forward to seeing the other suggestions.

OH! And if you haven't played through Dragonbox Elements yet, it's awesome. At first, I thought, this is really simple compared to the algebra one, but now I'm sold on it. We have referred back to it a million times for conceptual understanding already.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! How funny that the Murderous Maths box set is sitting right next to me right now! I need to look through the shapes one to see what is in there. They were here for me to hand off to DD, but I should see what DS made of that particular one first, if there is anything he wants to follow up.

I got Dragonbox Elements when someone posted that it was on sale recently but forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me!

Time Travel Math sounds intriguing! I will definitely check it out. I don't worry too much about things being too young so long as they are engaging. This kid is still a kid. I will also check out hexaflexagons and tessellations. I know DS liked the latter in his math book. He LOVES origami.

Please do post your playgrounds on your blog! We would love to see them.

There are other places to find these, but I like the models for polyhedra here:

http://www.worksheetworks.com/math/geometry/polyhedra.html

I want to hear more suggestions though!  I'm sort of geometry mad at the moment.  Today we did all the circle tricks in Savage Shapes.  The kids were entranced by how they could draw these random points and have it come out the same - a straight line, points meeting in the center, etc.

Magformers are great for hands on geometry. We used them along with Beast 3a with great success. I do not have it, but this cd looks llike it would stretch the educational potential of the product as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magformers-CD-/321149895208?pt=Educational_Toys_US&hash=item4ac6068228

Interesting, thanks! It is really cool how some toys have educational materials to go with them (Snap Circuits, Zometool, K'nex...). We could make a market for toy science. 

Might be easy but there were lots of real-world applications that might be fodder for off-shoot projects in Rightstart level G?

I really wish I had seen this a while back for him. He's beyond it now, grade level wise. I am considering this for my hands-on younger DS though. Thanks!